Dumaguete Info Search

The sin tax (Cigarette price rise 2017)

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by DavyL200, Feb 6, 2016.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Just popped down to our local sari store which I use and the guys who deliver Marlboro ciggys were there. It's the first time I have spoken to these guys and seemed well educated,we got onto the price of ciggys and was informed as from the third quarter of 2017 the price of ciggys will increase to p150 a pack,and as Marlboro are the market leaders all the other brands will follow so ciggys will all be the same price! WOW!
    Reckon it might be time to pack it in at the end of 2016 ish. We shouldn't really complain as back home a pack of Marlboro is around p550 and in aus $20.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    P150 doubles the current price. So in 2017 it will only be beer, women and labor that is cheap in this country. Wait....doesn't that sin tax also cover alcohol? Well crap. Guess it will be just women and labor. Running out of reasons to stay here. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I remember when the sin tax came into play in 2012 but I have not seen any price increases of much since then.
    This was what was supposed to happen but never has so reckon the last three years of increases will all come at once in 2017.

Pack price will rise from p17 and P27 in 2014, P21 and P28 in 2015, and P25 and P29 in 2016. There will be a single rate of P30 per pack starting 2017, rising by four percent every year.

This means that the four categories of cigarettes based on their retail prices and tax rates under the old law have been reduced to just two, with the new law providing for a uniform tax treatment beginning in 2017. Higher sin taxes take effect today | Headlines, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

4. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I heard a rumor too, that the sin tax will start covering the ladies on the boulevard. So does that mean they will double their price to P150 also? Those price increases will cause a dilemma for those on a budget: Smokes, Boozes or Broads... gotta make a choice. Maybe the Church will protest the sin tax as being applied to female companionship, as it does benefit the Church when there are more new members born into the Church.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Seems they are being a little selective with which sins they are taxing. Good thing though.....

SIN LIST (667 sins listed there)

I'd be broke before I even rolled out of bed in the morning if they taxed every one of those. :o o:

• Funny Funny x 1