Dumaguete Info Search

The Wonderful Island of Bohol

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by Travel Guide, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travel Guide

Travel Guide DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Bohol is an island in the south of Manila that promises a lot of wonders. The lure of this tropical island paradise is not only in the many natural wonders that one would be able to see all over but also the hospitality and warmth of the people one meets at every place that one goes to, making one feel safe, comfortable and relaxed during their stay in this tourist friendly place.

The Hinagdanan Cave is an awesome cavernous hollow with an underground pond which used to be a favorite swimming place for the local children. It is a naturally lighted cavern with large stalactites and stalagmites. The entrance to this cave is a small hole in the middle of nowhere and as one descends to the spiral staircase the pond unveils to show the unique beauty of this natural formation.

DAKS and GAMS, short of daku and gagmay, meaning big and small, also in the island of Panglao, is a place where one sees the indigenous fauna of the island. A collection of wild life mostly birds and reptiles, some big some small comprise this small game reserve.

The riverboat cruise in the Loboc River is the next stop. The ride begins in the center of Loboc town where upon leaving the dock, the tourists are served a sumptuous lunch of delectable dishes. While eating lunch the tourist will be entertained by a group of local singers belting out songs from the past. The boat continues to go up the river showing the lush greenery and at the very end of this river is a small waterfall that marks the midpoint of the trek. The boat then maneuvers back to its starting point where another surprise awaits the relaxed traveler.

Upon disembarking the boat at its docking area, one will notice groups of people gathering around a small tree where the world’s smallest monkey could be seen. A number of tarsiers will make one marvel at its own distinct beauty.

Before reaching the final destination of this paradise, a man made forest can be seen, mostly of mahogany trees planted during the early 1960’s. One can actually feel the sudden change in ambient temperature while one passes through the roads traversing this forest in the town of Bilar.

And finally, the beauty of the chocolate hills will be seen in the town of Carmen. The view deck in the center of this town provides a 360 degree panoramic view of the place, certainly providing one with the grandiose magnificence of years of geologic shifting.

Fun and excitement await the adventurous traveler who is looking for a different kind of experience.

The island of Bohol is an island paradise waiting to be discovered. The distinct beauty of the place including the hospitality of its residents provides the tourist enough reason to explore this awesome place of adventure. Come and experience it for yourself to find out why.

2. roy

roy One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is really needed in Bohol?

I recently got my SRRV and I now have the luxury to spend time in the Phils. for as long as I want. I have chosen Bohol and I have been here for more three months now.

Much has been said that Bohol is an island paradise and the government is moving heaven and earth to promote this place for tourists. Here are the reasons why it will take a few more years to make Bohol a wonderful place to live in especially for Westerners:

1) Most of us foreigners want our food served hot. This is how we were brought up. McDonalds branch in Tagbilaran is not aware of this. Some white men even complain that their coffee is cold, the French fries, egg Mcmuffins, Big Mac is cold, etc. No wonder you can seldom find foreigners who keep coming back to this place.

2) The downtown area of Tagbilaran has numerous beggars who makes sure that they rub their dirty hands to your arms to force you to give them something. They keep following you and grumble if you signal them to go away. They even tag along naked young kids to make you pity them. I was told that boat loads of Badjaos come to Bohol waters all the way from Mindanao and this is an organized crime. What is the city government doing about this? One time, while I was buying some medicines in a pharmacy near Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu City, a young Badjao lad kicked me in the @ss when I refused to give him money. I know one of them will stab me if I use my fist to this nasty scrounger!

3) The drivers must know some basic road rules. Whether you are in Tagbilaran City or in far away towns, majority of the drivers do not know basic traffic rules and regulations. I got myself a new car and I got pissed off several times a day because a vehicle overtakes even if I am already signalling to make a turn. A vehicle wanting to make a left hand turn does so from the very right end of the road instead of near the center of the road. They do not even make a signal that is why it angers me when a vehicle would suddenly cross in front of me. In any other country in the world, this is a complete NO NO. The police will apprehend you for this.

A book of rules should be issued to a driver before issuing a license. In Bohol, a lot of people who drive vehicles do not even know how to read or write! In other countries, we were taught about common road courtesies early in school.

4) You cannot have privacy even in banks. Banks should provide cubicles where you can discuss investments or ask assistance on how to make money transfers. When you go to the banks, people flap their ears to listen to every detail that a white man says to a bank staff. Privacy is never heard of in this place.

5) In hotels or pension houses, a Filipino guest will switch on his TV set to the maximum volume and when he stamps his feet in the wee hours of the morning. Why can't they be considerate to others who are still sleeping?

3. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Roy..welcome to the Philippines...it aint a Bohol thing...

Sorry to hear the beggar situation is worsening in Tagbilaran. Has been for years, but must be extremely annoying now. I'm amazed that these city mayors...what do they get paid for, I wonder...are universally too gutless to deal with the problem. Getting some professional beggars around Bacolod now too. Been a few for years.....but they have really expanded the industry now. Parks, church grounds, etc. And the cops are doing bugger-all as usual...

4. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Hi Roy.
    I had to smile as I read your post. As garbonzo says; all as usual. You can either be upset with the situation or just let it go, at least for items 1-3 and 5.
    As for #4, have you looked into doing the majority of your banking over the Internet (HSBC for example)? For large cash withdrawals I don't have a good answer. It should make you nervous.

5. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Welcome to the forum Roy. Here's my "uska dako"...

1. Either they are aware and just don't care because they can get business from the locals anyway or, they are not and need to be informed.

2. Big problem in Dumaguete as well. Gov't officials turn a blind eye to these pests (they earned that since the first time I got harrassed by them), making them look utterly inept at handling what was, I'd say a small problem to start with.

3. Most Pinoy drivers are totally ignorant of traffic regulations. I'm sorry but this is true. You will just have to mind yourself when navigating the roads.

4. Banks should definitely provide cubicles. You can never be too careful. What if someone sees/overhears you making a substantial withdrawal and alerts someone else waiting outside to rob you - that's just one scenario. They could follow you on a motorbike and... nasty stuff.

5. I have lived in apartments all over the UK and Ireland and have experienced one too many times the noisy neighbor upstairs or next door. I chose to think they're just ignorant. Unfortunetely I had to resort to things like superglue-ing their door locks or slashing their tires but it made me feel better. Hey, sometimes you have to do something, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.