Dumaguete Info Search

Thursday Club - Project Santa.

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Broadside, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    We met yesterday 10th November to make our final plans for the Christmas effort, so Project Santa is now under way. We intend to make up gift packs for 120 children who will be in the Provincial Hospital over Christmas. We have broken the numbers down thus:-

30 packs for children aged 0 - 3
    30 packs for children aged 3 - 6
    30 packs for boys aged 6 -12
    30 packs for girls aged 6 - 12

These figures are ballpark and provisional, as no one can predict exactly how many children will be in there, although I will get a more accurate figure from the hospital, so we will probably err on the side of caution and get more than we need. Any left over will be given to the very needy children in Looc. Kids being kids, they will probably swap everything amongst themselves, but who cares as long as we have made them happy by giving them something when they had nothing.

Rechel went out and bought a sample bag of goodies for each age group, and a fantastic job she did. In each bag, there will be a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, face cloth, baby oil, powder and smelly stuff !!! Then, according to the age bracket, there are books, drawing books, colouring books, pencils and colouring pens, play clay, games, bubbles, dolls and figures, spirals, round things, square things, things that bounce and things that don't.!!! The total cost for all four bags came to a little more than 700 peso, therefore 21,000 would see us scrape through, although 25,000 is a more realistic figure and the target that we wish to aim for. It shouldn't be difficult, as we already have 13,379 in the kitty. We intend to distribute the gifts on Christmas Eve so the kids have something when they wake up on the day.

Christmas is a time of goodwill, and there are plenty of children around us who need some of that, when, by comparison, we seem to have lived charmed lives. Christmas can be a pretty sad occassion for children who are so poor they dont have a pot to pee in, made even worse if they are sick, and compounded by being so sick that they need to be in hospital. We can't change the world, but we can make our own small contribution to try and make it a better place to live in for some.

Closer to Christmas, we will be calling on the ladies to get together to have a parcel packing party. You are so much better at that type of thing than us guys, who tend to be all fingers and thumbs. :p

More updates later as we get closer to the event.

Roger

2. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Good work. I will send a small helping donation for this great cause. Take care all.

3. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Hi Pat put me down for P500
    Ron

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Sorry I meant to thank Broadside. It's late guess my brain is fuzzy

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Kevin and Ron, thank you for your donations, greatly appreciated.

6. OP
    OP
    Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    We have received a variety of donations from various sources and very grateful thanks for them all. The most recent to be brought to my attention is from a collection made by Expatron. A magnificent gesture. Thankyou to each and everyone. Your donation will help to make Christmas day more than just another day to a lot of sick and needy children.

Roger

7. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    My pleasure and thank you, I think this is the most worthwhile project at this time. I will continue to do what I can.
    Ron

8. OP
    OP
    Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Wonderful generosity from all concerned. Our Christmas fund is now in excess of 22,000 peso and still growing.

9. OP
    OP
    Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    A chance meeting with a Kiwi member of the forum this afternoon at the Mall resulted in a generous donation from him of 2000 peso. We are now running in excess of 24000 and improving all the time.

Roger

10. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I also received another P1,000 from an american friend today for this great cause.
    Ron