Dumaguete Info Search

Tile adhesive

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by hawk263, Oct 15, 2019.

1. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +486 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Does anyone have advice on the best method of laying tiles - thin layer tile adhesive, or thick layer cement as generally used here in PH?
    I had a problem with tiles lifting (tenting) in one house and I'd like to avoid this happening in the new place.

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,853 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    My tiler mixed tile adhesive with the cement, don't know the ratio but used a lot of adhesive and the cement was about 2 inch thick. Been down 4 years no problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    I went to Negros Builders (near Robinson’s) to look at their tile selection and I mentioned to them that I used to get my tiles from Citihardware. The guy I spoke to asked me if I had problems with tiles “popping” out of their placement because apparently, that’s the usual complaint when you buy tiles from Citihardware. Reason for it, because they’re made in China and not as temperature resistant. He went on and on about specifications, but I was too much of a girl to understand what he was talking about. All I took from that convo was that it didn’t have anything to do with the tile adhesive but rather the quality of the tiles that you buy.

4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Im not sure i would believe anything they say about the tiles,i would say all the tiles which we can buy here are from china,i would say thats just a sales ploy. You just need lay them properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,361 / 1,256
    My house is all tiles from City Hardware. They have been down for almost 10 years with no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,853 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sounds like a sales pitch to me. I bought all my tiles from Cityhardware. 450sq metres and none of them have popped. He,she is telling you BS

7. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Good to know.

8. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Same here. We bought ours 15 years ago. All still ok. There are some fine cracks. But this is due to a earth quake some years ago. But we will soon put news ones. So I guess we have to consider to buy them from Citihardware or not.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  9. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +994 / 82
    If you want to understand the basics, i suggest spending a few hours surfing youtube. Seems to be the best overall instruction. Then type in "tiles popping up," or similar...

10. OP
    OP
    hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +486 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks for the input folks - I'll try the tile adhesive/cement mix, and 2 - 3mm spacers. Pretty much all the tiles I've looked at are Chinese made.