Dumaguete Info Search

Timberland stewardship

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by doromaner, Apr 5, 2013.

1. doromaner

doromaner DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have read some information about getting a 25 year land stewardship on classified timberland for farming purposes from the DENR. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this process? How exactly does it work?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would think you would need to get a work visa for this.

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Only if you are going to be an employee who is a foreigner. If you are the employer, or business owner, no work visa is needed.

4. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    A foreigner is only allowed up to 40% business ownership so how would that work?

5. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    That is incorrect. A foreigner is only allowed to own 40% of a corporation, but can own 100% of an unincorporated business.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Opening an unincorporated business sounds extremely dangerous here. Especially concerning farming. I say this for the liability aspect. Say you accidentally sell some bad product and someone gets sick. Not only can they go after your business assets but your personal assets as well. Remember who usually wins in court here.

Corporations, specifically LLCs, are the way to go for small time owners.

7. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  8. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    A corporation, or even an LLC, is overkill for a small farm owner here. How many farms, percentage wise, do you think are incorporated in the Philippines?

The other thing is traceability? Can you even trace where the fruits or vegetables you consume on a daily basis even come from? Not likely. In order for a farmer to be sued, the consumer would have to know where the produce came from specifically and go through the effort, again, not likely.

As a small farm owner with a farm that grows, harvests, and sells or has sold:

Rice, sugarcane, watermelons, beans, corn, peanuts, cassava, raw lumber, bamboo, squash, coconut, etc. we have NEVER had a problem.

I think most farm owners, along with the buyers of their products, are smart enough to not even try to sell or buy bad, or spoiled produce.

Mega-farms in the Philippines on the other hand are a very different story, and because of the real estate laws here, they are almost always corporations, but not because they are concerned about lawsuits over bad produce.

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    How many small time farms are owned by foreigners here? I would say a very small percentage. While most people would never knowingly sell bad product there can be bacteria that can go unnoticed.

To say a small time farmer has never had a legal problem is a bold statement. Never underestimate someone's desire for a payout here, especially when a foreigner is involved.

An LLC will take the same amount of time to complete the papers as any other business here, and likely the same price. In the end it's your decision how much you liability you are willing to take. I, personally, would prefer to not put my personal savings up for grabs for the locals.

10. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Instead you would rather give away 60% controlling interest from day one? And yes, as a small time farmer here, we have never had a legal problem, and I don't know of any other farmer here who has either. There is no way the end consumer would even know if the produce they were getting was grown by a foreigner or a local, unless they bought it directly from the farm, so why worry about it?

There is no need to be concerned about "bacteria" in some farm raised products either. Sugarcane is one, as it goes from the farm and is heavily processed. A lot of the large farms on Negros grow sugarcane, and sugarcane only.