Dumaguete Info Search

Time for change

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by charlyB, Jul 6, 2024.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 335
    This will probably be only of interest to UK expats.
    The latest election results show how wrong our voting system is, i did not vote but if i did it would have been for the reform party who came third in the percentage of votes 14.3% but only got 4 seats.
    The liberal democrats used to be the third party but now only get 12.2% and still 71 seats, farther down the list are the Scottish nationalist party with only 2.5% of the vote but still get 9 seats.
    Time to change this sh1te system to proportional representation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,391 / 1,263
    I haven't voted in Canada for almost 20 years.
    Canadians tend to flop back and forth between parties. One party will upset a lot of people so it will be one of the other parties for a term.
    The worst upset I remember (+_~) was the Progressive Conservatives. The Mulroney government went from a strong majority to a single seat in Parliament. The PCs were not even an official party anymore. Winning 1 out of 338 seats gives you an idea just how bad they were.
    It seems the Brits can be flexible to.

3. aldinlapinig

aldinlapinig DI Junior Member

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +52 / 4
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Totally with you on this. As a UK expat, it's maddening to see how the votes don’t reflect in the seats. I voted for the reform party too, and it's frustrating that they only got 4 seats despite a decent percentage of votes. Meanwhile, the SNP and Lib Dems get way more seats with fewer votes.

4. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +311 / 31
    It seems to me the 'first past the post' is doing its job then.