Dumaguete Info Search

tomatoes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by adoremus, May 26, 2012.

1. adoremus

adoremus DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, so my neighbor said he could not grow tomatoes. They just bloomed and no fruit. So, I ordered some "hot weather" varities. Yet, on educating myself on being a farmer, I learned that a cool temp is needed at night for a while to get the "plant hormones" to cause the fruit to set. So, I was wondering if using some ice... maybe dripping on the soil during the night for a week, may trick the maters to get to work. I really dont want to lug containers into a space with AC, (not my space) to get things going. Not much on the net bout this.

2. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ha, I thought of the ice thing myself for some of the things I am growing. That or running soft copper in coils thru the soil and water-cooling it periodically thru the day.

Don't despair, there are at least two people growing large tomatoes successfully-and not doing it in AC or up in the mountains.

I have some hybrid hot weather seeds on their way here now, but I think the seeds inside won't grow successive generations.

I can PM you the email of the guy in El Pueblo subd whose crop is doing very good. Maybe the two of you can get together. Ops, you must have the PM function turned off?

3. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    He will have the PM facility when he has made enough posts for his status to change from Junior Member to DI Member.

Cheers

Roger

4. robgie

robgie DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are a few of us doing good at this, growing big tomatoes. Many varieties peppers, brusle sprouts, asparagus, good watermelon etc. I have some now in the bags and also in the soil. The problem lately( 1 year) I have had, is the seed embryo seems to be not good coming from the USA, Maybe they have been radiated to much going through the mail.. I can only get a few seeds to sprout now as b4 nearly 95 percent. The seeds I get from the UK is still is doing very well, nearly every seeds sprouts. Tried the high temp seeds, os ok but not so good to resist other diseases

5. robgie

robgie DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgot to add rainy season is about to be upon us. Thinking to that, the wilt resistant varieties is the better, root nematode resistance, The fungus here really reaks havoc especially in the rainy season. Try the 3 wilt resistance FFF and V N types. also some have problems with the grey leaf spot during wet weather. Here is a good web site to identify the problems when they start dying,
    http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomWlt/TomWiltKey.htm

6. Angrysmoker

Angrysmoker DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
  7. OP
    OP
    adoremus

adoremus DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you everyone. I will write again when I have some kind of a result.