Dumaguete Info Search

Touching corals punishable by law

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by Rye83, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Scuba divers were warned yesterday by the provincial chief of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in Negros Oriental that poking and/or touching corals is punishable by law.

PENRO chief Charlie Fabre issued the warning after observing that scuba divers continue to use pokers and touch corals with their handsespecially in the protected landscape and seascape of Apo Island.

At least two photos posted on Facebook by an environmentalist, who frequents Apo Island, showed a scuba diver/photographer using a poker and touching corals.

The environmentalist said he believes that dive rangers and guides, and authorities such as the barangay council, the Dauin local government and the DENR should be strict in enforcing the law against the touching of corals with hands and/or pokers.

Continue reading...

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    This sounds like they are proposing the "Full Employment Act :greedy:" for diver guides from Apo Island. I assume there will be a fee to have this "Dive Monitor" go along with you.

FROM ARTICLE: "To address this problem, he said, the DENR has discussed with Mayor Neil Credo the possibility of deploying or utilizing local dive guides on Apo Island as “dive monitors.” This will mean that aside from the dive guides provided by the dive shops and operators, a local dive guide from Apo Island will join them to monitor and report on what takes place underwater."

Why not just make the dive shop guides and operators responsible, so when tourist divers show up here they are not facing another fee for a 'Dive Monitor' that they may not be aware of before coming? or hire na Apo Island dive guide... opps maybe that was the idea in the first place, as I think many dive guides are foreigners here.

OFF THREAD BUT LOGICAL EXTENSION: Maybe we will soon have motorcycle monitors riding on the back of our motorcycles too :wink: These can be "Drive Monitors" assigned to foreigners who drive here, for those type of foreigners that are not familiar with the local rules and regulations that must be followed. :cigar: Of course only locals could handle this job because they are familiar with the local rules and regulations that must be followed. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Another full employment act :greedy:. I think all those third or fourth persons on the back of many of the local's motorcycles currently must be trainees for this future occupation. Do not mention this to local politicians; let them think of it them selves and then implement it in the 22th century, and enforce it in the 23th century.

Dive and Drive responsibly, someone has too! :smile:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  3. jimf

jimf DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Dave this "Full Employment Act:greedy:" language concerns me.
    Am I correct in my suspicion that coming to the RP and experiencing the good ol days are quickly waning?
    The Filipino people will legislate themselves straight into deeper poverty as no foreigner worth his salt will put up with such harassment and shakedown.

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    We have been saying this for years, but as it stands at this time we have no choice. We have no voice and complaints, comments and any words of Advice and /or Encouragement just fall on Stony ground, It is what it is and we are definatley, who we are, Foreigners. Good for Spending only :facepalm:

But Don't you just love it here.:rolleyes:

JP :bag: :whistling:

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    The real test would be the intersection of discussion and reality.

I wonder if you take a picture of you poking a coral while smoking (or poking the coral with your cigarette) and riding without a helmet if they would get you for breaking the other laws as well.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Voting by our wallets is how we voice our opinions. If they get too restrictive with their laws then tourism will fade. I don't see this law being enforced/enforceable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jimf

jimf DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    It is what it is and we are definatley, who we are, Foreigners. Good for Spending only :facepalm:

But Don't you just love it here.:rolleyes:

I guess you have a point.I do just lve it there and still plan to dodge those bullets as they come.
    I remember a guy here...I forgot his handle but he has a similar quote, "the job of foreigner is to bring here everything he has ever accumulated and LEAVE it!"
    His handle here is at the tip of my tongue grr!

Wyre you stated what I really mean. One would expect that when the Philippines gets the reputation of an all out fleece job to foreign men they will cease to come

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Well there is the odd thing about it all, we (they) don't Stop Coming and if you believe all that is written lately. Even more will be arriving. :facepalm:

There Has to be a turnaround point, but Blessed if I can see it or know what it will look like. :pompus:

JP:bag: :wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1