Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist arrivals up 87.3 percent

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shadow, Jul 23, 2013.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I debated whether or not this should be put into the humor thread...;

The Dumaguete City Tourism Office reported an 87.3 percent increase in tourist arrivals in the first half of 2013, or 202,046 compared to the 107,894 tourists in the same period last year.

Tourism officer Woodrow Maquiling Jr. said that for the whole of 2012, they recorded 214,045 tourists.

Foreign visitors numbered 28,531 in the first six months of 2013, compared to the 2012 arrivals of 26,504, or an increase of 107.6 percent. Local tourists reached 172,929 against 87,047 in the same period last year, or an almost 200 percent increase.

Foreign and domestic tourists reached 27,713 in January, 27,062 - February, 31,192 - March, 45,330 - April, 35,144 - May, and 35,605 - June, the CTO said.

It added that the month of March had the highest number of foreign arrivals with 5,612, followed by February - 5,589, June - 5,406, January - 4,883; April - 4,058, and May - 2,983. Top 10 foreign visitors were Americans, Germans, Canadians, Britons, Australians, French, Chinese, Koreans and Swiss nationals.

Maquiling said the increase in tourist arrivals can be attributed to the recent awards received by the city, such as the Galing Pook for Environment for its septage management program, and as one of the Top 10 New Wave Cities for outsourcing locations in the country by the Information and Communications Technology Office and the Information Technology and Business Process Association in the Philippines.

He added the initiative to make Dumaguete a smoke-free city, and the passage of City Ordinance 231 on the reduced use of plastic bags and styrofoams also attracted the visitors to come and explore the capital of Negros Oriental.*RG

DAILY STAR: Negros Oriental

Larry

2. Princeton

Princeton DI Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 13
    Being fairly new to Duma myself, I am sure all these "new arrivals" will be seeing the boulevard. It amazes me that the trucks and buses are allowed on the most frequented street by tourists.it would be so much nicer for tourists and citizens alike if the loud smoke belching trucks and buses were redirected to another route.Nothing like sitting trying to enjoy a cold one,or a stroll along the water with fully loaded fuel trucks and god knows what else only a few feet away from your dinner,not to mention the infamous Ceres buses honking and passing at speeds that can only be described as idiotic...imho.

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Larry yes you were right it should have gone in the humor section, who ever wrote this doesn't live here! Smoke free hahaha.

4. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Perhaps we need a new section for "Science Fiction".

5. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If a person, any person, were to arrive in Dumaguete by boat, plane or bus, would they be considered a tourist? That would explain the math. I think the numbers are derived by 3 security guards. one at the exit gate at the pier, one at the gate at DGT Sibulan and another in town at the Ceres terminal. A hand held clicker type counter with random guesses at nationality and there you have it! Anyone arriving must be a tourist.
    Why anyone would want to sit out on the boulevard, never mind eat, is a mystery to me. The dust, dirt, smoke, noise and other "distractions" are terrible. I thought those people sitting there had all lost some kind of bet. Too bad, it could be so nice.

6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    It's not that the noisy smoke belching truck and buses are allowed to screw up a nice time there.. they are directed and required to follow that route....

7. OP
    OP
    shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I believe the numbers reflect what the new local politicians want everyone to believe. "Look how much we improved tourism". Kinda all lines up with the statement "they came because of the new anti smoking laws and plastic bag ban". Nothing but a bunch of chest pounding.

Larry

8. flxibl2006

flxibl2006 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I agree, I am more than a little suspect of the thought that someones travel plans are dictated by the number of plastic bags used per capita and completely disregarding the level of vehicular filth in the air as long as it does not contain cigarette smoke.

9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Maybe someone should invite the mayor or governor to join on here and lets see their views on the matter!

10. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    "He added the initiative to make Dumaguete a smoke-free city, and the passage of City Ordinance 231 on the reduced use of plastic bags and styrofoams also attracted the visitors to come and explore the capital of Negros Oriental.*RG"

I cannot but wonder how in hells bells name they can link these two 'accomplishments' to an increase in visitors. Did they interview any stranger that wandered into Duma or is it nothing else but election rethoric?

To those that have a problem with the traffic on the Boulevard: I regularly sit (outside) my favorite hangout in the afternoon and although the traffic sometimes is relatively heavy (when held up by a pedicab or icecream vendor) I have no problem with the hustle and bustle that passes. I smoke myself so i suppose the exhaust fumes from the passing vehicles doesn't bother me that much anymore...

Vicmico