Dumaguete Info Search

Traffic Nightmare ( be Ready for even more unexpected chaotic Driving)

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Jack Peterson, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    The simple logic displayed in the one way temporary experimental traffic solutions baffles my mind :banghead:: I am may not have enough information but….

Predices starts being one way, in a NORTHerly direction, at theRobinson's Mall, then goes into town and changes to a two way street for two blocks, then changes to a one way Street in a SOUTHERNLY direction at the Catholic Cathedral. Consequently everyone going SOUTH on Perdices toward Robinson Mall, is faced with a road block at the Yamaha Dealership as the street becomes one way in the opposite direction, the same, of coarse, happens when traveling north from the Robinson’s Mall when you get to the the Catholic Cathedral. There is a two block transitional area which goes both ways. Those traveling Southerly, can go westerly on the few narrow streets to catch the National Hiways which becomes a Southerly one way street, after being Northerly one way street a few blocks to the north by the Public Market… are you following my narrative? It is very confusing…

The good part is that the block in front of the Catholic Cathedral is temporarily officially one way, not just drivers cross flowing as is normal now.

The other confusing choice of one way flows is the Dumaguete- Palapinion road which is two way all the way to the National Hiway then becomes one way in in a Westerly direction. So after driving all the way in from Red Rock area in eastern direction, you must make a left turn and travel the narrow streets of Dumaguete… no continuous direction. Of course those narrow streets have vehicles parked along the side of the streets, displaying those funny “lolly-pop” like signs with a “P” crossed out in the center. Does anyone know what that sign means? lol

Nothing seems to be continuous, but soon when going down a one way street you are confronted with the same street becoming one way, in the OPPOSITE direction you have just come.

Another street program had two parallel streets being one way in the same direction, resulting in your driving about 3 blocks out of you way to get where you want to go… so more travel downtown to reach your destination? Is that how you relieve traffic problems by making people drive more in the same congested area?

Although one way streets may be a solution, the setting of directions of the one way streets taking into consideration traffic flows could be thought out much better. Having the one way streets continuous, not changing to the opposite direction would be a big step in the right direction.

Until some level of discipline of the drivers to follow the rules and the traffic people to enforce the rules occur, traffic will always be a challenge in Dumaguete, like walking thru a "Dog Park" barefooted, :poop:. Some traffic enforces need to grow a “pair”, some drivers need to loose a "pair" and drive like they live in the City of Friendly people instead of an undisciplined traffic war zone. :wacky:

PS: If you want to have fun watching traffic, go in town to Lee Plaza at night during normal confusing times when the one way street transitions into a two way street. No one waits for the appointed time for change over, but just starts driving as if it is a two way street when they feel it is convenient for them to travel in that manner… It is fun to see people heading head-on toward each other. Then honking at each other… lol Oh… the discipline of the Dumaguete drivers and the traffic enforcers who mostly spent time waving at their friends. :o o:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    AHA! Thats why the traffic on the back way to the boulevard was full of trucks and busses and traffic when its generally traffic free. There is at least one corner on that route that the semi's are having huge trouble getting around, especially if the cars and bikes don't stop waaaaay back to give them room.

Yep. Gonna be a nightmare. Quicker to go all the way up to Valencia and down the other side if I need to go from Sibulan to Bacong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The article talks about testing this weekend, but it actually started several days ago when they took jackhammers to half of the Perdices bridge. And with that bridge torn up, it will be much more than a weekend "experiment."

It's been mentioned before, but who in their right mind decides to test one-way flow and have the direction change in mid-stream? Keep Perdices one-way from Silliman Ave to Robinsons, and the National Highway one-way northbound for the same portion. Duh?

And it's time to grow up and be a "big city" now and keep the flow 24-hours. No changing to two-way ever.

And enforcement, of course. They talk about towing illegally parked cars. Is there even ONE tow truck in Dumaguete? Maybe time to purchase a few for the city to enforce parking rules, build the impound lot near Twin Lakes and charge 1000 pesos tow fee and 500 pesos/day impound fees. In two days the parking violations will disappear.

You are awarded "Honorary Traffic Engineer" for inventing the Dumaguete beltway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    So, I guess the "New Banica Bridge" is the one that is part of Perdices St.
    I've read a few news stories about a widening project. They always refer to the bridge name, or bridge nick-name. But never mention the street name. So, it kept me wondering if it's Perdices, Real, Colon, etc. Lots of bridges span across the banica river around here.

6. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have no idea what the official name of the bridge is. Banica Bridge would not make sense, since there is the National Highway Bridge over the Banica just a few blocks west.

7. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    I was surprised to see the Highway Patrol pulling scooters over near Portal West in Saturday late afternoon's jammed traffic on Silliman St. I don't know how they decide who gets pulled over when 80% of the people are in violation of some ordinance eh?

I didn't see any signs advising of a checkpoint ahead etc-which I've read that LTO has to erect when setting up a checkpoint. Plus I though LTO checkpoints were only allowed on national roads-is Silliman St a natl road?

They had their ticket books out and were writing

• Like Like x 2
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    They are pretty hot on the muffler issue at the moment but will book for other offences also!
    Its about time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Wave as you go by...

• Like Like x 1
  10. mirohu

mirohu DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0
    Construction aside, the most fundamental problem is the fact that the one way sections of Real Street (Market) and Perdices (Mc Donalds) are flowing the wrong way. Real should be one way going south towards Bacong and Perdices should be going north towards Sibulan. These roads are the national highway so they carry local traffic and most traffic going north and south passing thru Dumaguete. The current configuration requires traffic to criss cross at both ends of downtown. The traffic plan needs to focus on keeping these two roads flowing, so cross traffic from side streets needs to not directly cross stopping the flow. The positive thing about Dumaguete is there are no traffic lights and the natural inclination of the drivers to remain moving at all costs, with the proper plan traffic could move so much better.
    The unfinished bypass road is a huge issue also, when the thru traffic can flow directly from Bacong to Sibulan it will reduce traffic a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1