Dumaguete Info Search

transfer of auto ownership

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by xhippie, May 16, 2013.

1. xhippie

xhippie DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +27 / 7
    what is the procedure for buying a vehicle from a private party..one from cebu..thanks for any advice....curt

2. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just bought an MC, and then the procedure was.
    1. Get a notarised deed of sale. You should both be present to sign it in front of the notary public (bring ID's). Seller in my case was abroad and we had signed a deed of sale before he left, so I had to look around for one that could notarise without him present. (There was one going from Robinson towards Public market, on left hand side just after the bridge, right where the road from the Boulevard comes up). Make sure not to get screwed here. Notarising cost 200-300 pesos. Some lawyers will request a percentage of the value of the vehicle and have heard people paying several thousand for this.
    2. Make a stencil of chassis and engine number. 3 copies. In my case it was time to do emission test, so I went to do that and had them do the extra stencils.
    (3-4 only needed if the vehicle is registered in another LTO office, and you want to have it transferred to Dumaguete)
    3. Go to LTO and get paper work needed for transfer
    4. Go to LBC and send the paperworks to the current LTO office (KEEP THE RECEIPT)
    5. Go to Highway Patrol to get a deposit slip for paying the fee (300p) (Nothing paid in cash to them, even if they ask. Show them you know the procedure)
    6. Go to Landbank and pay the fee
    7. Go to Crime Lab (behind police station) to have an inspection. (Nothing paid in cash to them either)
    8. Go back to highway patrol for an inspection (has to be done AFTER #7). (No cash payment this time either).
    9. Buy insurance (the are a few places in the corner behind LTO. Not sure if this is needed if you don't renew the registration at the same time)
    10. Go to LTO and follow procedures there (the main office, not the Robinson branch which only do drivers license related things)

#10 might take a few visits if you did a transfer from another LTO office (3-4 above), as they will not do anything until the paper have arrived from the current office. Takes a couple of weeks. Make sure to bring and show the LBC receipt.

Hmm, thing that was about it. Make sure to bring the vehicle to all places above. I'm not sure if it's a requirement to renew the registration when you transfer it, but my bike happened to expire the week before I transferred it so I had to.

I recommend getting a big plastic envelope to keep all documents in as you never know what they will ask for. Better having it all than having to go back home to get it. The o/r and c/r should always be shown. Make a few copies as many will ask for it. Also make a few copies of the deed of sale and deposit slip.

3. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Wow, only time I purchased a vehicle in the Philippines was about 25 years ago, and from what I recall, procedure has certainly gotten no easier, might even be more involved now.

4. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you buy from a dealer it's easier. Typically they do all the paperwork for you then.
    Not sure if the crime lab and highway patrol inspection is needed for cars, or if it's only for bikes.

5. OP
    OP
    xhippie

xhippie DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +27 / 7
    thank you very much..the info is helpful and precise...again thank you