Dumaguete Info Search

Transplant

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by ShawnM, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Today was a great day (overcast) to transplant what I had going in the trays. I have a pretty small area for my garden so I went with some raised rows so that I could also add some green onions, daikon radish and napa cabbage on the sides of the rows.

I'll keep adding seeds as I see how these are doing.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    It has been a couple days and the plants look like they are doing well. When I said I was going with raised rows, I'm talking about a foot or so, the plan is that the larger plants will offer a bit of shade for the radish, cabbage and green onions. I am also trying some garlic for the first time.

The plants transplanted were sweet corn (local seeds), okra (from Afghanistan), tomatoes (US grape) and chili peppers (US "fire" mix so not sure what I will get). I tried zucchini seeds twice and did not get anything as well as the eggplant seeds from Afghanistan.

I'm not a huge eggplant fan, but was able to get the first seeds to germinate; maybe the seeds are too old? I have only put seeds on one side of the rows so far so I will think about trying to direct seed some of these eggplant seeds.

When I lived in Korea I did mostly container gardening with good results, here I am trying to maximize what I can get from a pretty small area.

Once things get going I will post some pictures.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 2