Dumaguete Info Search

tree danger

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by charlyB, Apr 11, 2023.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    Saw in the news yesterday 2 young (in their twenties i think) brothers killed in Jimalalud by a falling coconut tree as they were driving along the national highway on their motorbike.
    There but for the grace of god springs to mind.
    Note that this was the national highway not some dirt track in the middle of the jungle.
    Almost every day i see coconuts lying in the cement road we use, these have dropped without warning from 30 or 40 feet up, even if you are in a car that's dangerous so how about if your on a motorbike.
    As i have said in a previous post what's the chances of the tree owner paying for the damage or hospital charges or burial , yes that's right "zero"
    All these trees within 2 metres of the cemented roads should be removed, stray dogs next.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Not sure if they got hit by the tree when it fell or hit the tree when it was already down. If the latter then clearing two meters obviously wouldn't help much to prevent future accidents.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    It would prevent coconuts landing on the road which would be a step in the right direction, Rome was not built in a day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    .........and the Diversion Road wasn't built in five years.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Maybe crash helmets would have saved the young drivers life's. Were they not wearing helmets?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  6. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Translated from the Yes Dumaguete Facebook Page:

"BROTHERS IN JIMALALUD, DEAD AFTER BEING COVERED BY A COCONUT
    The two brothers died after they were hit by a coconut tree while riding a motorcycle on the National Highway, Barangay South Poblacion in the town of Jimalalud around 12 noon last Sunday, Apr. 9, 2023.
    The police identified the brothers as Karl Darwin Magos, 23 years old, and Clyde Magos, 31 years old, who are all single and residents of the mentioned barangay.
    It was learned from the report that the brothers were traveling on the national highway while riding a motorcycle when the coconut tree suddenly fell and crashed into them. They were supposed to be traveling to the sea in Barangay Bae to bathe.
    According to Assistant Investigator, SSg Joey Patoc, the brothers died instantly because of what happened. He added, the tree fell because there were only a few people holding it."

7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Well that suggests more questions than answers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    This was not in in the report i originally saw so i thought the tree fell due to natural causes such as being rotten, now sounds like it was being cut down, what kind of negligence is that......
    We were driving home one day when a bunch of coconuts landed on the concrete about 10 metres ahead of us so we stopped, there was a guy up the tree harvesting the coconuts but the lookout was nowhere to be seen, he then suddenly appeared from the bushes at the roadside, he was laughing and seemed to be amused by his own stupidity, he kicked the coconuts off the road and we drove on.
    Its more fun.......

9. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +247 / 138
    Heard they old saying, The nut didn't fall very far from the tree? This is a case of the tree falling too far from the nut, with the saw:o o:

10. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Think the proverb says apple not nut. Never mind. :smile:

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1