Dumaguete Info Search

Tricycle Fare

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by liquido, Feb 23, 2012.

1. liquido

liquido DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What is a fair price to pay coming from the Ferry Pier to the Bus station..?? Thanks

2. Eyeinthesky

Eyeinthesky DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi liquido.

Basically, the authorized fare is only P8.00 per person. If you have a couple of luggage then it would turn out to be a per trip or what they called "pakyaw" and should not exceed P50.00.

Beware of cab drivers asking for more. Try to agree on the fare first before jumping in to the cab.

3. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Legally (last I knew) a tricycle trip anywhere in town is p8.50 the first km, then 50 centavos each additional km.

"They" can it a call special trip, or whatever they want. In all my trips to the Traffic Enforcer office, I've never been told there are instances of it being more than that.

If your luggage is taking up space where other passengers could be sitting, that could allow a higher charge perhaps.

On the other hand, you could just get in, calculate the km along the way, pay the fare as I described, and tell him that's all the law calls for..

4. OP
    OP
    liquido

liquido DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Well its a ladyfriend of mine with a backpack making her way to Bacolod..Maybe they will call it a special ride because the tric drivers i think wait by the gate there and probably the only passenger going to bus terminal..Being a first timer there im doing some upfront homework for her so they do not rip her off..Thanks for the info

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    P20 should do more than nicely. If she walks an additional 50 meters to the street most any passing trike driver would be happy to do it for P10.

Larry

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    When I had a ride on a ladyfriend as a first-timer in the Philippines I also got overcharged...

joke aside, if she walks slowly direction boulevard she will get a 10 - 20 peso trip to the Ceres terminal without any problems.

7. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Maybe, but they have good customer skills, because the customer always comes first :D

8. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    There will always be a gap between the authorized price and the so called "pakyaw". Depending on your appearance, negotiating skills you might find a driver who will do the trip for the said price. But, this is The PH. As long as drivers are asking 100 peso and more for a trip from the airport to Boloc(2x), a distance of no more than 700 meters, wish you happy hunting to find a driver who's reasonable. Most have :greedy:$$ in the eyes.

9. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok i know this is the Airport and not the Ferry Port, however, when i flew back from Cebu (Cheap Promo Flight normally use my motorbike). Out of interest, went to see the Tricycle drivers there in the airport parking area. I asked fare to the Mercury Drug Store on the National Highway, in Daro, "500php its a very long way" one told me, i just start laughing, and looked around, another said 250php, i laughed again. So i took the short walk to the National Highway, waved like an idiot, and got a tricycle, agreed fare of 10php to my door, so i slipped 50php and he was the happiest guy, evera.

10. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I should have taken the Ceres Bus to my door step....

I returned from Cebu yesterday. I enjoyed a smooth 5 hour aircon Ceres bus ride home. I was dropped off at the Ceres bus terminal, and it was time to head to Santa Monica Resort on Banilad Road, a 12 minute trike ride. My 5 hour aircon bus ride was 200 Peso. My first trike price offer was 150 Pesos, so I walked to the mall, where my second trike ride price was 150 peso, with an opportunity to ride with an existing passenger (not a lady). So I walked a significant part of way toward home for exercise. An empty trike stopped and I asked how much? 150 pesos, for about 500 meter ride I laughed and finished my walk. I looked in the mirror when I got home, wondering is I had "150 Peso" tattooed on my forehead while I slept in the bus. Now I must admit that after first quote they quickly told me they would reduce to 100 pesos. I still have not figured out a couple of things: Why it cost 200 peso for a 5 hour pleasant aircon ride and why it cost 150 pesos for a ten minute uncomfortable dirty trike ride. (2) While a trike driver feels it is better to drive empty after he has offered a ridiculous price than make some money for every meter he drives by quoting a reasonable ride. (3) Why the trike drivers drive slowly around town continuously, burning gas (money for them), creating traffic problems and polluting the air. Other than Lee Plaza and Robinson there is no trike "stations" in town.

I will also note I had a pack pack, looking like a tourist ready to be looted by the typical trike drive, and was not interested in negotiating when there first price was so high. I know the Filipino pays about 45 pesos or less average to get to my house.

The average rental rate for a trike to the driver is 300 pesos a day. One evening I offered a trike driver 200 pesos from Mercury Drug as it was late and I did not think he would get a fare back. He countered offered 300 pesos, but the next driver was happy to pocket my 200 peso offer and pay for 2/3 of his trike rental fee for the day in one 12 minute fare.