Dumaguete Info Search

Triggerfish bites in Dauin Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by PatO, Jul 7, 2014.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    A guy at the gym showed me a Triggerfish bite he got at the sancuarty down from the market. First time I heard of this but looking it up on the net shows it is quite common. He said it was over a foot long and thought he must have got too close to its nest. It apparently bit through his suit and was very painful.

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Pat,it is common in the breeding season,heard many a tale of people being bitten here. Some can be very nasty bites, they munch on corals so flesh is easy pickings! I was warned at dauin once by a local to stay away from a certain area due to an aggressive one.

3. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    Not on coral but on crustaceans, mollusks, sea urchins, sea shells. Two weeks ago a titan attacked me but bit only in my fins. Respect for its open mouth with sharp teeth. Attitude like a terrier. I got, accidentally, too close its den where the other half was, probably caring the eggs...