Dumaguete Info Search

Turkey Fish - Do not eat

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by PatO, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    The Zebra turkeyfish or Zebra lionfish, Dendrochirus zebra, is a carnivorous ray-finned fish with venomous spines that lives in the Indian and western Pacific oceans. This member of the scorpion fish family has thirteen venomous spines along its back, used to defend itself. These fish are slow-moving and peaceful, but can be dangerous. They have a habit of resting in places hidden from light such as under a rock or a piece of coral. They are immune to each other's poison. They are solitary fish that aren't afraid of anything, as they have no natural predators.

The Zebra Turkeyfish is also mentioned in Animal Crossing : Wild World, For Nintendo DS.

Attached Files:

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    They also make a cool aquarium resident as long as you watch out for their spines!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Locals here eat them, with Lionfish there is no problem as the poison is in the spine. Different story with Fugu,(pufferfish). Even those land on local BBQ-Grills. What Japaneses chefs train for several years is done here by many fishermen. after removing skin an liver, they cook/bbq it, give a piece to the dog and wait 20 minute. If the dog is still alive, they eat it also.

4. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Rhoody, good catch, I will try and find some and have you over for a barbecue but no testing on my puppy first:D

Lionfish: Lionfish is edible, and though it carries venom, preparing it safely is not difficult. This is because the venom is contained in the spines, rather than in the internal organs of the fish.

5. DivingDane

DivingDane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi guys

Check out these delicious recipies.

http://www.lionfishhunter.com/Lionfish Recipes.html

To be honest I haven't tried any of them, but sounds quite good. If lionfish were a pest here, I wouldn't mind giving it a try. However, I don't see the bantay dagat applauding spearfishing and scuba gear together. =)

DD

6. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Lion Fish vs Florida Keys

According to a November 15th article in the Wall Street Journal
    (Hunters Stalk the Lionfish - WSJ.com),
    lionfish are running(swimming) rampant throughout the Florida Keys and the Underwater Parks (Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary). Spear fishing is even allowed in "No take" areas of the sanctuary. Prizes of over $3,000 are offered for greatest number killed and turned in. Local restaurants are doing a "Kill it and Grill it" campaign also.

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2

I like it! :D

It could also be the name of a new restaurant in Dumaguete!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.