Dumaguete Info Search

U.S. Navy in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Anyone see the U.S. Navy ship at the Bvld? What's the story? Inquiring minds want to know. mine.

2. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    RHB, as what i have read on the news article, they are there for some kind of 4 day charity mission or work.

3. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    HMM... Ok. you see that in local newspaper? Maybe Thanksgiving in DMGTE, Watch out why not, if they let thm out that is.

4. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    RHB, i found it!

USS Reuben James FFG-57 has docked at the Dumaguete City port at 10 a.m. on November 17 for a courtesy visit and mission works.

Officials of Dumaguete City welcomed the ship crew led by Commander Richard Haidvogel--commanding officer, Lt. Commander Romeo Bautista (Filipino-American), and 1st Lt. Fallon Rossi.

Mayor Agustin Perdices of Dumaguete City, Vice Mayor Woodrow Maquiling, City Administrator Dominador Dumalag, Bais City Mayor Hector "Tata" Villanueva, Jose A. Guirit-chairman of the Sports Activities Committee Fiesta, the city tourism officer, and other local and barangay officials were among those who welcomed the visitors.

Haidvogel was happy by the warm welcome accorded by the city.

Haidvogel briefed the host officials on the background of the naval ship that was named after Reuben James, Ohio-born citizen who saved the life of Lieutenant Stephen Decatur in 1775.

On board the Reuben James are 200 US Navy forces, 5 of who are Filipino-Americans.

Haidvogel invites the people of Dumaguete to visit the warship but on a limited capacity for security reasons.

The team is here to have a 4-day tour and to do community work.

Kyle Lemuel S. Juliano, 10-year-old national champion of the 2nd Magsaysay Search for the Singing Star and dyRM Awit Bata Season 3 champion, and his sister will serenade the visitors in an appropriate event prepared.

5. Hanna

Hanna DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    when they arrive?might be they have mission here.

6. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Thanks India,found a newspaper with a blurb on it today at Hypermart. Apparently the official U.S. Embassy press release says the following and I quote:
    "crew is looking forward to exploring the City of Gentle People, where they will join volunteer projects at the local Gawad Kalinga site, help to paint a local school, as well as play with the kids".

I sent out one of my investgative reporters to the streets of dumaguete, to get the read from the locals. apparently the prostitutes from Cebu and Bacolod have arrived in droves to meet the demand so to speak. Bars along the Bvld have extended their hours as well to quench the thirst of the 200 plus sailors. Playing with the kids may indeed have two meanings...

The Reuben James is a guided missle destroyer, also has two anti submarine hellicopters. and is equipped with advanced electronic detection gear. What is it really doing here? found out that too, but it is classified info. But some sailors have loose tongues. My sources on the Bvld have confirmed that the ship is aiding in the oil exploration project int the Tanon strait. Why you might ask is the U.S. Navy interested in helping the Pilippines explore for oil?
    good question, and if you residing filipinos care about what happens to your environment, I would start asking some serious quesions. Reports have it that they are currently dragging the first oil rig for test drilling now into place.

The rest of the story, courtesy of an old skeptic with a quest for truth.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    As what I observed last Saturday the girls from Cebu showed the locals streetbirds what good looking, nice attitude and well dressed means. I was out with some instructor collegues from Puerto Galera, they love Dumaguete now. Funny enough that the most of the DUMA-girls in Why-not were becouse of all mentioned above still untouched by the american guests.

We recognized also that later quite some bar-brawls were going on in different location, what is a bit sad. I actually enyojed the evening with my friends, some american-guys and some female visitors from another island in a pub and they did not run out of beer even we tried our best...

Rhoody

8. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Yes guys, price is up this four days! My honey wants to go see the poke poke girls if they are still here, so we go to why not tonight for a show, with our extended family. Ship still in port? Otherwise a waste of time.

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    What show tonight in Why not? I should swim down .... tell me more or send me a txt or PM plsplspls...

Rhoody

10. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    easy boy, sent PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.