Dumaguete Info Search

U.S retired soldier shot dead

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by jimeve, Jan 22, 2018.

1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Jogging...it's more fun in the Philippines. :meh: Since he likely didn't have any money on him who would stand to gain?

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Sad news, may he rest in peace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Likely be hit-man, may have pissed someone off or his wife looking for insurance payments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    From the article:
    Lonnie Simon Weig, 63 . . . . had been living there for four years. . . . He was married to a Filipino wife, Rose, with whom he had three children.

Now that seems pretty prolific for a 63 year old. Wonder if he ever had DNA done. The tale will be complete when we see who the wife moves in with next and who the kids start calling daddy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RPlongtymer

RPlongtymer DI Junior Member Restricted Account Infamous

Ratings:
    +35 / 7
    A couple months ago I read a statistical study on the number of expats killed in various countries. Separated into two categories: death by accident/natural causes and death by being murdered. Philippines came out way ahead of Thailand on number of expats murdered here.

7. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    The murder of anyone, with few exceptions, is tragic.

However, on the lighter side,
    I guess that study shows that Thai's will put up with more sh*t.

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Thailand sure does seem to have an large number of expat "suicides". Seems almost every week a foreigner or two manage to fall off of their condo balcony and splat on the concrete. :meh: Such an issue there that the apartment/hotel I was staying at in my last trip there had netting placed anywhere there was a possibility for a fatal fall.

I think the long nose murder rates might go down quite a bit in the Philippines if their were more high rise buildings. I know if I were to ever buy a condo I sure af wouldn't buy one higher than the 3rd floor.

[​IMG]

It seems per capita, at least on the surface, Thailand is more dangerous. However, it is hard to tell how many actual long nose Americans are murdered given that there are a whole lot more Filipino-Americans than there are Thai-Americans. I bet if you excluded dual citizenship from that number (and also excluded their deaths) the Philippines may top Thailand....but that is just speculation, I don't think there are stats to back that up.

Maybe if someone could find the death rates for long noses from countries with much less Filipino dual citizenship the numbers may better reflect the actual risks.

Baclayon looks to be a fairly small place (4th class municipality). It shouldn't be too hard for the police to figure this one out if they put their minds to it. Hopefully this man's family gets some justice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+

10. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Baclayon is part of Tagbilaran, like Banilad is to Dumaguete. Wrye says it shouldn't be hard to figure this one out, hmmm, why I have my doubt, the guy was white !