Dumaguete Info Search

U.S. SSA Annual Report

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Jul 7, 2017.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Fyi, US citizens. I received my annual report to the SSA to sign and return. Mine was sent out on June 8 and must be signed and returned by August 8 to avoid the major hassle of having your monthly transfer stopped. Many friends of mine already received theirs from the June 1 mailing. If you haven't received yours, be vigilant.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    I sent mine back a couple of weeks ago. I send it EMS ( Express Mail Service ) through Philpost. Then I track it on the USPS web-site. As usual it took only one day to get from Dumaguete to Manila. Then it sat in Manila for 4 days ,again as usual, before they could get around to putting it on a plane. Once it hit New York it was in Pa. and signed for by a S.S.A. agent in 2 days. I think it cost me about P1400 to send it that way but it's worth the piece of mind to me to know it was actually delivered to and signed for by a SSA agent.
    This deal seems a bit redundant to me. Mine is direct deposit to a BPI account that I and only I can take money from. If I were dead :dead: the money would just sit there until returned to the SSA. But one wouldn't want our government to strain their brains thinking about stuff like that. I wonder whatever happened to the paperwork reduction act ? Thankfully we only have to send the thing once a year anyhow. :happy:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Is the annual report on a certain date or depending on your account? Thanks

4. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Not sure. Seems like they mailed the form on June 1 and another mailing on June 8, but takes about 5 weeks to arrive here which doesn't leave much time to send back within the required 60 day window.

5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    My wife paid 125p to mail each of the two SSA forms, post office said it should arrive in 3 weeks. Would have cost 1400p each for my son's and mine forms using express mail service.

6. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Both could have been put in one EMS envelope reducing the cost to only P700 each.
    Maybe next year we can get 10 people and reduce it to only P140 each. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  7. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Slightly off topic, but is this form required only if your SS check is deposited to a non-US bank? I haven't started collecting yet (just this week reaching the day I am eligible for full payments).

8. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Yes, I would have the same question. As far as I can see, you must notify ssa of the address change: QUOTE you are a beneficiary planning and to leave the U.S. to live abroad, you should report your change of address before you leave. You should report the change in your home address even if your payments are being sent to a bank. UNQUOTE

This may trigger the annual form sent to our addresses. It would seem if one kept your deposit address in a US bank, nothing may need to be done but CAUTION The law says we must notify them when we change to a foreign address. Even though my bank of deposit is in USA, I will resign to wait for the paper form and go through the courier mail method but what a pAin,

You may report your new address by getting in touch with the SSA Field Office nearest you. We recommend that you also read the pamphlet: Social Security -- Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States, which explains how your benefits might be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Can anyone definitively answer this? I have not yet started receiving SS payments. I anticipate that I will maintain a US address and a US bank account for SS even though I will be living almost full time in the Philippines (I already have an SRRV to stay here.) I have assumed (dangerous, I know) that the SSA will have no need to even know I am mostly out of the country if my "permanent home address" is in the US and the mail there is constantly monitored and scanned/forwarded to me via email the day it is received. Am I missing something in the rules? Have I covered my 6?