Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist Visa U.S. Wife Visa

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by PatO, Jun 1, 2018.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    If I plan to take my family to the U.S. May next year, when should I schedule her interview for a first-time tourist visa? Can all the requirements be done in one trip? It is my understanding no medical check up is required for a tourist visa. My son is an US citizen so I’m sure no problem.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As soon as possible.

You son's citizenship status does not matter. Once he turns 21 she would be considered "immediate family" and can apply for a green card (until he is 21 this cannot be used as a reason for a green card). She also wouldn't be guaranteed a tourist visa just because her son is American. (Which makes sense since this would increase the risk of the mother never leaving the US.)

Your best course of action is probably to use your marriage status to get her a green card.

3. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    In case you have not searched here is a link that will get you started
    Apply for a U.S. Visa | Apply for a Visa - Philippines (English)

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Thanks, not after a green card, just a tourist visa. We have a house here, b ank accounts, and she has a pn US tax ID number which I am told is helpful so I don’t anticipate a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    You may have more success going for the green card than the tourist visa. The green card has more process involved but is nearly guaranteed to be granted. The tourist visa is very arbitrary & impossible to know the odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    When the wife schedules a visa request appt at the US embassy do they offer a choice of dates or can she request an appt date?

7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Follow-up question. Has anyone’s wife got a first-time US tourist visa this past year. My wife has an appt later this month and wondering about the degree of difficulty for pros approval.

8. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Update on a wife getting a first time U.S. tourist visa.
    My wife had an 8:40 am appointment Monday at the embassy in Manila. The time is misleading. It gets you in the door to a long line at the first window where they check your passport. Onto a long line at the 2nd window where you are fingerprinted. Then onto the being directed to a third window for the interview. Five quick questions:
    Where are you going in the U.S.?
    How old is your son?
    Is your husband an U.S. citizen?
    How long has your husband been in the Philippines?
    What kind of visa does your husband have?
    The interview took less than five minutes. The American doing the interview told her she will receive her visa and passport in about a week. Filling out the pre-appointment form correctly and completely is mandatory for getting an interview appt.
    By the way, using Grab Taxi is highly recommended in Manila,

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018