Dumaguete Info Search

Unable to reach ssa.gov website.

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Tom2bad68, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was trying to get to The United States Social Security Administration and the site appears down. From what I can tell this is a dns issue since no ip address is returned by a dns request. I am using Globe on both my computer and my phone with the same result.

Are you guys able to get to the site or is it just me?

2. OP
    OP
    Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Ok I solved the issue for now. It is a dns issue. the globe dns servers do not lookup the ssa.gov site. I was able to manually add 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as dns servers and now I can get to the ssa website. FYI in case anyone else has trouble.

I suspect it is due to the storm affecting the globe internal network.

3. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    You cannot do business with SS by internet from a location outside the U.S.A. So I was advised by the SS clerk at the consulate in Manila. You might try using the Firefox plugin "Stealthy" for a U.S. internet address.

4. dennis1105

dennis1105 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It doesn't matter about where you are, it matters whether you have a US mailing address as your Social Security address. Since I had to give them my Philippine address to to the CRBA for our baby, I can no longer do any changes on the SSA.gove site. You must have a US mailing address. I was told that I had to do all business with Social Security through the Embassy in Manila.

5. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    Were you able to log into your SS account from the Phs. before you changed your address to Phs? I doubt it.

6. dennis1105

dennis1105 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    About a year and a half ago from the Philippines with my old username and password, I logged in and changed my direct deposit from my local bank to HSBC USA. I got the username and password before I left for the Philippines and it worked until I changed my address with Social Security in the Manila Embassy. After that, I could no longer log in. I can still go to the SSA.gov site but I can't transact any business online. When you sign up for a username and password, the password is sent via US mail. As of Jan. 2013, everyone has to get a new username and password and they won't send the password through the mail to a foreign address.

7. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    It seems my information is out of date. I was unable to log in from Phs. although my U.S. address had not been changed. SS clerk in Manila said simply, one cannot log in from out of country. That was 3 or 4 years ago.