Dumaguete Info Search

Unclaimed expat body in local funeral home?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Cutie ladybug, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A relative who works in an area funeral home (I know the name) says there has been a unclaimed foreigner's body there for a "long time".

That's all the info I have..

Anyone know who this poor soul is?

2. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Why? How did he die? I think the people or person who found the body should have a clue. If not, they can start investigating from there. Are there no ID's with him?

3. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Early 2011 there was an unclaimed body from a Norwegian in Dumaguete for several months.
    It was known that it was a Norwegian, so the embassy could be informed but seems after several months the problem was not solved.

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    You say the unclaimed body has been there for a 'long time'. What is the plan of the funeral home for the unclaimed body when he has been there a REALLY long time? How long do they keep him and then what do they do?

5. OP
    OP
    Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know their plan. The body is at Garden of Saint funeral home

6. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    A simple solution would be to take DNA samples from the body and make them available to the various embassies to try and identify the deceased. But that's probably too simple.

7. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Burial for ransom...? Whatever next?

8. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Cremation

I heard they cremated him and put his ashes on a shelf in a box. Someone turned the box over spilling the ashes all over. Then they vacuumed the ashes. Now the poor guy will spend eternity in a dirt devil bag.

9. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    That is by no means simple. To take a DNA sample here and have it processed along with guessing the possible nationalities. Then hoping that said deceased actually has a DNA sample on record in whatever home country which in many isn't done unless criminal.

Now from my experience many of the guys who retire here are out of touch with whatever family they have back home (well those who die and unclaimed). Many don't want to be found either so that SS check keeps being paid for the remainder of the year or more with forgeries to support spouse/children/GF and such after their departure. Lastly they didn't care enough to have a plan in said eventuality suggesting when they are gone they don't care.

To me I'd call it life and respect his last wishes and leave him alone. Just like me if I die I have no desire to be sent back to the US or any burial. I'm happy with a cremation even though I'd prefer a funeral pyre old fashioned style but whatever. I'd rather make sure that whatever family, wife, gf, and such here could keep collecting for the time being to try and make sure they have a future.

10. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    We come and we Go. Sometimes it is others that like to know if we go even if we do not want them to know. Not much fun with lyeing around for to long when were gone. I hope this fella is at peace. What a bag of worms.:(
    Maybe someone needs his Pension ChMq but they should put him to rest with some of that pension ?? Or maybe some investigation needs to be done to find out who he was. I did read some time ago that in Japan they had a investigation into some 130 year old's still claiming old age pensions Ha. Maybe it is good if someone knows your final plans. Or maybe not ? Take care all.