Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Undersea cables damaged, (even) slower internet

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Dutchie, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    That is an interesting spin on the slow Internet.

I use PLDT DSL line at the moment. I am supposed to get "up to" 5 Mbps speeds. At this moment, speedtest.net is showing a speed of 2.29 Mbps between my computer and Cebu City's PLDT server. Wonder how the lines under the ocean in HongKong can possibly be responsible for that?

I changed the test server to Hong Kong and the speed was reduced to 0.94

I changed the test server to Los Angeles (at the speedtest.net main server) and the speed went back up to 2.10 Mbps. Wow, almost the same as Dumaguete to Cebu. So now I disbelieve their excuse. It only affects specific spots like Hong Kong. Sure, cut cables affect the speed. But how do they explain Duma to Los Angeles getting pretty much the same download speeds as Duma to Cebu on a Saturday afternoon?

My explanation? I believe they have oversold their product and if double the people are on line than the lines can handle then everyone gets half the speed. Or it may be a ratio that is more dependent on how much money the customer is spending. Either way is more about profit taking than cut cables.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I tend to agree, when I signed up in Feb/Mar this year speed was great, however, over the past few weeks, speeds have dropped so bad some days I cannot even open a web page let alone an online video! I suspect with the roll out more are now availing Fil-Products and eventually with too many on-board, it will all go to hell! :sorry:

Reminds me of the early days of the Internet in Oz when the FREE Providers opened up shop, in the beginning things were fantastic, at the end it was so over subscribed, you were lucky to get a few minutes online before those logging on pushed you off, meaning you needed to dial up again to log on, in turn pushing the next user off and so on and so on... When the dial-up charges quickly outweighed the paid services, people gave up and paid for a reliable service. Okay; nowadays you do not get booted, but with so many logging on, bandwidth slows to a snail's pace! :banghead:

• Like Like x 3
  4. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I signed up with globe broadband with landline phone - dsl. Globe actually sent us the GOOD NEWS that years ago, they decided to diversify their routing structure, bottom line being that no globe internet service (mobile, dsl etc.) will be adversely impacted. Quite a bold thing to say! Anyway, at this time I'm glad to have globe postpaid broadband.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    On Siquijor in a small resort they had Globe Tattoo internet access and it was really usable and reliable. Dumaguete on the other side in four different hotels the internet was either not working or just terrible.
    This was in summer 2013.

6. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Might be an explanation for the mediocre Netflix experience I've recently had with sky cable.

7. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    We live in both Siquijor and Dgte. Right now in Siquijor you must use prepaid (SUPERSURF etc.) unless you happen to be blessed and live in range of a tower with LTE. If no LTE, then prepaid options like SUPERSURF are your only option. As you know, this is old time surfing only from the days of dial up. Videos will gobble your UNLI balance in no time. They cap you with these UNLI Plans, every day and every month, not giving you near the GB you need to watch even one movie from Netflix or Hulu. Even for web "surfing" you need to keep it down lest you exceed the UNLI Limit. And this cost 1000P for data only, just a few GB. If you have LTE then you can set up postpaid, real internet at 300-500GB, more than most need, for about 1300P per month, what I pay for globe dsl in Dgte, or maybe 1500P. areas in Siquijor without LTE do not have high GB postpaid available, only prepaid. No luck with GCASH which could greatly reduce the inconvenience of prepaid if one could load with PayPal on the PC or smartphone. Theoretically it is possible but even the main globe office in Siquijor is not even sure what GCASH is. So for me, for good internet, Dumaguete is the place to be...GLOBE dsl postpaid, not impacted by the HK cable issue, at least that it what globe says.

8. djfinn6230

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    FWW, I found that your local tower in Siquijor is only 3G but you want LTE, if you can get some neighbors to sign up, they will outfit the tower with LTE. Then you can go postpaid etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It has affected every ISP in the Philippines, so anything online, especially video/music streaming will be slow to non existent until fixed which could take a while by the link's source :sour:

10. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    I am with Globe and have not had any slowdown. My speeds are right at the top and sometimes even above.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1