Dumaguete Info Search

Underwater pictures on the cheap

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Union Jack, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi guys, as I'll be visiting soon and my budget does not allow me to splash out on a proper new underwater housing for my simple Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8, I was just wondering if any of you has got any suggestions on how to get reasonably good quality underwater pictures cheaply. We are talking about a day out snorkelling in Dauin, not scuba. I've tried those disposable Kodak underwater camera, but frankly they are crap, as they have no zoom and the manual shutter speed/ aperture control settings are non existing. As I tried to get a little deeper, the fishes keep scattering, making pictures taking an impossible task.
    No doubt they mistake me for a white whale.......:D

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    you may wanna drop Mike a line, he is renting out an UW camera for his divers, if you drop by his place and have a chat with him, I could imagine that he might rent it out for not in-house guests if he knows them a bit.

cheers

Rhoody

3. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi Rhoody, thanks for the info, I'll bear it in mind when I'll come over.
    Has anyone ever tried one of these underwater packs? Are they any good for taking pics when snorkelling? They claim to be waterproof and submersible at up to 5 metres...are they true to their words?
    I would not be too happy having to through away my camera in the middle of my holidays....:eek:
    Aquapac Small Camera case (420) - Waterproof Cases & Covers - Ocean Leisure

4. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I have actually used the Kodak disposables up to 10m while shallow diving with no problems in crystal clear waters. I have seen those waterproof "bag" type devices for some common camera models but have never used one. I would think they would be worth a try and they should be safe for snorkeling.

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Union Jack

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Hi to all, thanks for your replies.
    I've ended up buying the bag type underwater casing. I've tested it in a bucket full of water with an old and cheap camera in it. No leaks, all went well. It sports a clear window to accomodate the camera's lens which has be kept as close as possible to the window in order to avoid reflections, a bit like taking pics from behind the glass of a window....I'll keep you posted on the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.