Dumaguete Info Search

University admission / High School completion

Discussion in '☋ Education ☋' started by travel.hcg, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travel.hcg

travel.hcg DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apologies if not right forum...

A friend there wants to go to college in Dumaguete but need to complete her High School graduation - it has been 8+ years away from school. Are there any programs she could enrol in that do a "mature age" or High School equivalency that would permity her to do further studies ?

I think she has 2 years or so left to do of High School studies

Thank you

2. OP
    OP
    travel.hcg

travel.hcg DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any assistance on this ?

Any courses ??

3. cris_gayo

cris_gayo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Travel.hcg,

I used to work as a Guidance Counselor in Silliman and in Foundation University. You need to tell your friend to bring her credentials or transcript of records so that the school can evaluate it and can further recommend what prerequisite course she and what other requirements she will need. It is important that she finish high school first before she can proceed to college. A school usually gives entrance test to determine what level her english and math is, but that is generally true for incoming college freshmen. The Guidance office of any school will be more than willing to assist her. You can visit the Guidance Center in Silliman and Foundation University headed by Gemma Bangcal. I hope you will find this useful. :smile: God bless.

Cris

4. Mike Young

Mike Young DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    History of Negros/Dumaguete

Maayong Hapon,

I'm Michael Young, who lived in Dgte during '97-'99 as USPC volunteer working with English in the 4 high schools and a little in elementary. I had many friends there I'd like to talk to b/c I hope to return and stay for about 6 months next year. Especially if anyone knows Bubot with the Fire Dept. or our friend Tito at Silliman beach.

I need to research history of Dgte., going as far back as possible. If anyone can tell me the name of a famous local historian I might contact I'd appreciate it. When I finish my background research, I can come and live there again! Salamat! Mike Young

5. cris_gayo

cris_gayo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Mike Young,

You may contact Dr. Earl Jude Cleope of Silliman University Instruction Office. He is a historian himself and may help you refer to other local Historians in Dumaguete. He is the Vice president for the Visayas of the Philippine National Historical Society (PNHS), the oldest Historical Society in the Philippines.

Cris

6. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. Can someone, tell me about the schools there? I have a 12yr old son. We are from the U.S., and are planning to spend sometime away from US.
    Are there any US/UK/AUS/NZ kids attending school there? Are the schools good? Do they offer after school activities, sports, clubs? Any help with these question will be greatly app. thanks..

7. cris_gayo

cris_gayo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. We have many schools in Dumaguete City both Private and Government. Among the leading schools in Dumaguete are: Silliman University (Protestant Private School) is highly recommended for International students and yes, we have many foreign students there and your son can join various school organizations. Just ask the Council of Student Organizations (CSO) so you know which organizations are permitted and recognized as campus student organizations. You may also inquire from St. Paul University (Catholic Oriented school), NORSU-Negros Oriental State University(Government university), Foundation University (also private school), Dumaguete City High School, Don Bosco School, Citadinni School and Science High School and other schools that offer Elementary and High school. You may search for their websites for further details. I hope you will find this helpful to you.:smile:

8. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been searching for websites, but no luck, at least for High schools... If you know anyone that can provide more information, that would be really great, thanks...

9. cris_gayo

cris_gayo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No luck

Been sending emails to Silliman and no reply with regards to admissions... anyone her work at the school, or know somoene that works there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.