Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education University Town

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by makibot, Mar 13, 2012.

1. makibot

makibot One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I’m just very concerned with the preservation of the name University Town attributed to Dumaguete. This becomes a pride for Dumagueteños, as well as, for the people of the province. This attracts students from neighboring towns and provinces. I knew some, coming from Mindanao and other provinces, who said that they want to study in Dumaguete because of a higher quality of education here. I’m just afraid that we are calling our city a University Town, giving students from any part of the country a good and high quality education, I hope so, but not giving them decent, safe, affordable, conducive place, like home, to rest. Universities give good and high quality of education, but students will not stay there in twenty-four hours a day. Most of the time, they stay in their respective rented boarding houses, not in schools. Boarding houses are their temporary homes, where they can rest well, recreate, and energized. Very safe and good quality homes for guest students in the city help them to receive well the education offered by Universities and Colleges. I believe, in improving the life of students here, owners of boarding houses play an important role. Affordable, safe and conducive boarding houses for rest and refreshment attract more students from any part of the country. I would like to suggest to local government to address this concern. There should have policies that will regulate the operations of boarding houses. Policies should include safety, cleanliness, good ventilation, and reasonable rental s of boarding houses. And it should have strict monitoring by local government’s assigned responsible persons.

2. Jopliniac

Jopliniac DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Good Day!
    Dumaguete is still pretty much a University Town, regardless of economy, safety and etc., since we are just talking about being a "university town", however you wanted Dumaguete to be very safe, especially the boarding houses?

Well, Dumaguete i still pretty much safe. I, myself, "normally" end up practicing around 10pm-12 midnight, and i would walk from Silliman to, boulevard/Jollibee/Mcdo before walking home to my apartment.

Although there has been crimes (which is always present in any city, even in the safest city in the world), but still i would say Dumaguete's pretty fairly safe, as long as you yourself would be careful and watchful also.

Now regarding about the safety of where you live, or say where the students would live, you know what although we're under the umbrella of the local government but things like this should be a responsibility from ourselves. Don't wait for the government to act for you. They're doing they're job (although we might find it "non-existent) but DO your part and make things happen. If you want safety, talk to your landlords/landlady. My apartments have a security guard, and we change everytime if we see something wrong on the guard (like if he's not really doing good on his job). I don't want to boast or something, but the basic thing you can do is to act starting by yourself. We had this lazy guard, very lazy! One night i told my landlord about it and discussed how our safety is if we keep on having that guard, and you know what happened? The following night we had a new guard! Then the following week we had a new guard again! (maybe somebody from the other apartments told the landlord that THAT guard was also lazy). So see, the things you want to do and to be shouldn't be always "blamed" or projected immediately to the local government. Why not do and be responsible for yourself and know your limitations and if you can't help that's the time you need to tap the local government and ask help. Anyway, God bless and have a safe stay in your boarding house! :D

3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Great advice Jopliniac. While there are many who feel the government does too much and those who believe it does not do enough, in the end it is what you do and how you act to improve your environment or situation in life. You can stand by the road and cry or you can get up and do something else with your life, that choice is yours to make.