Dumaguete Info Search

Unseen Sendang storm damage to the underwater areas of Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by sntmig, Dec 30, 2011.

1. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    I am a surprised,maybe more, for the lack of posts/information/requests from Resorts,owners,,Dive shop managers,Dive guides,divers,PAMBI,Government,Barangy Capitains,Mayors.... about the magnitude of the destruction to our local (Dauin,Apo island) reefs and dive sites..
    We really need to address the situation NOW !!..(maybe too late )..Not only are many corals totally destoyed,many are dying still, because of fine silt that is robbing them of much needed sunlight..or..are overturned so again,no sunlight.
    It appears that local interest ( Apo,Pambi,Siliman,Government) are not acting fast enough...
    "These are your reefs and corals and fishes,they are also what makes MANY tourists come to this area..
    Why no meetings to discuss this ?? and maybe soulutions?..
    This effects many of us in the dive/snorkel/tourist buisness on the current and future ,of this area.....
    The persons living along the Eastern sides are very fortunate that it was low tide ,,. so no destruction from the huge wave action...BUT,... what suffered were ,all the corals along the eastern side of Negros and Apo..

2. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW great post, interesting, i never even thought about that aspect, of Sendong calamity ...... Local land tourism here is threatened at the moment and with the diving and sea life threatened also gosh . . . . .

3. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    more info?

Well, this is the first that i've heard of this aspect. Can you tell us the source of your assertion "the destruction to our local (Dauin,Apo island) reefs and dive sites ... Not only are many corals totally destoyed, many are dying still, because of fine silt that is robbing them of much needed sunlight..or..are overturned so again, no sunlight."

-- where did you hear or see this? Have you dived or snorkled off Dauin or Apo in the past week? Do you know anyone who has? Has the govmt or any Dive-operator announced that this happened...?

Does anyone else reading this have any concrete info on the situations of our local coral reefs??
    "

4. OP
    OP
    sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    mtnwolf.... Actually ,since the Sendang storm ,I have done 12 dives at Apo and 18 in Dauin areas..sorry,but the damage is there.
    sfgb...thanks for the reply
    miguel

5. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Ah, thanks for that info sntmig. Terrible news! I wasn't doubting you, just wanted to know if you had seen this with your own eyes or had heard from someone else -- now we know it is the former! Oh, bad news for many people's winter plans... Including some of my friends coming as houseguests who are planning to dive or snorkel!

Please continue to update us on exactly what and how much damage you find at particular sites.
    And also on places you find that are unspoiled or less-damaged...

David

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I was actually wondering when this would come to light! Given the number of rivers and massive run-off after the big storm it was bound to happen.

7. OP
    OP
    sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    David..for your friends that come to visit.The west side of Apo is mostly ok,only silting at 'Rock Point West'..Coconut to Katipanan is good. Its not so great visibility at this time ,but that should clear up when the rains stop... Still great hard and soft corals and many turtles on dives and snokeling..
    as for Dauin sanctuaries,much damage but still great dives!!
    I was at Ma init again...not too much broken coral damage but sand and silt all over...poor vis cause of the Banica river bringing some of Mount Talinas and garbage to the ocean and the current brings it south.

ps... today..5 whale sharks at Tanawan and 3 black tips at Sumilon !!!!!...Miguel

8. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Thanks for that good info, Migel !! i hope for more, and from others...

and then THIS ARTICLE is relevant to what we're discussing:
    "Life returns to an underwater garden -- Bali's successful coral restoration project is being replicated worldwide"

Maybe this should be brought to the attention of whatever authorities deal with the coral reefs here...

9. fingers

fingers DI Junior Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    Thanks for the good information on this important subject. Please keep us posted.
    Thanks.
    Fingers

10. alesypalsy

alesypalsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 5
    Just out of curiosity what is possible for the government to do about the situation?
    I dont think there is much they can do anywhere in the world about broken reefs?
    Correct me if i am wrong but i am afraid no one should expect the government to be able to fix the sea bed.....