Dumaguete Info Search

US Social Security payment to Children born in Philippine's

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by robcameron321@gmail.com, Apr 1, 2014.

1. robcameron321@gmail.com

robcameron321@gmail.com DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    The title say it all... does anyone know the details..
    If I have a baby with a filippina, is that baby then a US citizen and If I am receiving Social Security is that child also eligible to receive Social Security up to age 18..?
    If this is true as I think then my next question is how many children could I have that would be eligible..? is there a limit..? any insight appreciated...?

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The baby is eligible for US citizenship and subsequent SS (provided it is biologically yours). You must apply for Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Go here;

Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Derivative Citizenship | Embassy of the United States Manila, Philippines

On a side note, do you really feel that is the best reason to make babies? To increase the amount of money you get from the government each month?

Larry

3. Ten Twenty Lenny

Ten Twenty Lenny DI Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 3
    The $$ don't go up per children the Money is divided between the children then as they age 18....it's redivided

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    You have to apply for u.s.citizenship at the embassy once your child is born and you can apply for social security as well as long as you are receiving social security. Your child would receive 50% of your SS amount. If you have a 2nd child then the amount your first child receives would be cut in half with the other half going to the 2nd child. Some keys to keep in mind: The SSA have a very regimented package you have to submit to prove the child is yours and your wife’s. I can tell you more about that later. Also, not all Philippines banks will allow you to have an account for a child which is needed for the monthly funds transfer.

5. OP
    OP
    robcameron321@gmail.com

robcameron321@gmail.com DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Thanks .. very helpful and confirms what i thought i had read online.. always feels good to get a live confirmation.. thanks again.

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I forgot to add, if I remember correctly, you have to wait to receive the child’s U.S. citizenship document before you can apply for the SSA benefits, it is a requirement. I can not remember if an U.S. passport for the child is required but it is a simple process to request that at the time you turn in the papers for the citizenship which I recommend anyway.