Dumaguete Info Search

USA Debrief on Vietnam - Mike's Beach Resort

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Aug 11, 2012.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Thanks to OnMyWay (Mark) and Pfotoguy (Bill) for their colorful details of their trip from Hanoi to Saigon (aka Uncle Ho city). Looking fwd to their pictures.

2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    The tunnel system at Cui Chi completely blew my mind, I could not imagine the fear factor of hiding in those little tunnels during a B-52 strike, waiting to be buried alive at any moment.
    And the brave G.I.s who used to go and search the tunnels they found armed with nothing more than a .45 and a flashlight.
    Madness...but not Sparta.

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I hope if Mark and Bill went on the Cu Chi tour, we get a picture of them trying to squeeze into one of the tunnel entrances....

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    They had an old Huey slick out there, and for a dollar a round you could shoot a variety of vintage war weapons into it.

5. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    I was in VN in 1966 stationed in Da Nang on hill 327. (the ammo dump) we found a couple of tunnels and me being 5'7 and weighing a buck and a half I was Volunteered to go in and check em out with the customary 45 and a flashlight. Scary sh*t. Luckily found nothing. being in an ammo dump throwing in a grenade or two in wasn't a good idea. so we filled it in with dirt and sandbags.

as for now, I couldn't get my legs in one let alone my whole body.

went to Chu Chi on one of my trips in the last few years. it is something to see. I recommend in for anyone interested it what things looked like during the war.

6. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    I was in VN in 1966 stationed in Da Nang on hill 327. (the ammo dump) we found a couple of tunnels and me being 5'7 and weighing a buck and a half I was Volunteered to go in and check em out with the customary 45 and a flashlight. Scary sh*t. Luckily found nothing. being in an ammo dump throwing in a grenade or two in wasn't a good idea. so we filled it in with dirt and sandbags.

as for now, I couldn't get my legs in one let alone my whole body.

went to Chu Chi on one of my trips in the last few years. it is something to see. I recommend in for anyone interested it what things looked like during the war.