Dumaguete Info Search

V.A. Hospital Manila Free Meds

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by PatO, Jan 24, 2014.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I just found out yesterday, after all these (many) years that even though I did not retire from the military or do not have a medical discharge, that with my 4 years and honorable discharge and DD214 I can get free meds and reimbursements for trips to the VA in Manila. Anyone taking advantage of those benefits? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thank You Pat, that is some very useful information that I was unaware of. I'm well aware of Your situation and I wish You a Speedy recovery. I may be coming there towards the end of March- beginning of April, so if there's anything I can bring for You feel free to ask.....Cheers Mate

3. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Thanks that info is golden! I have a service connected disability and last I heard the VA in Manila would only treat that particular problem. Also somewhere on the VA website it says (maybe used to say) they would only give you an emergency 2 week supply of meds if you were passing through .. none if you were living here. Do you have a link to anything saying the info you posted? I'd like to research this further.

4. OP
    OP
    PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    My info came from a good friend who is receiving free meds and check ups at the Manila V.A. I am planning on going there late February. You can get the process started online.

5. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
  6. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    To clarify, in cases of emergency or for a compensation and pension exam the VA will accept a veteran.

Other then that, you'll have to have a service connected condition for continued treatments.

7. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    The standard info is only service connected treatment and even so only by appointment...But these days read the VA benefits hand book every year because they have service era specific allowances that change..this means if your service was in certain theaters of military action and during certain dates,you may qualify for benefits not available to veterans from other dates and theater of service...Things change and rules bend sometimes in a veterans favor..