Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia build - the sequel!

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by barryrio, Dec 29, 2017.

1. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Valencia Build - Part 2:

Well, here we go again. We are currently two months into a new build on a 1,280 sq meter plot of land close to home in Valencia. This project consists of a five unit serviced apartment block to hopefully provide an income stream for my wife and daughter should I fall off the perch. We are using the same contractor who built our house as described earlier on the forum in a separate post. We are hoping this job goes as smoothly and is as stress-free as our previous home build - only time will tell! The pics were taken today - so far so good and everything running smoothly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Are you treating the timber inside the Units? I bought Coconut Lumber and what I was told was treated Marine Ply to do my kitchen and have discovered after 2 years that all of the ply is paper thin having been eaten out by White Ants. I treated everything with Wood-Saver after cutting it to size, did diddly squat for my set up. :unsure:

I spoke with a guy a couple of months back regards building Units and he said they cost him around 1.5M per unit to build. Is that around your budget also? Just thinking maybe in the future we buy a few 100m2 Lots to build a 'small House' on to Rent out, and figured around a 1M Budget per house, suitable to around a 10K per month Rental for each House. (Not Beach front properties)

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If its plywood you used brian it wont be ants it will be dry wood termites and after a few yrs you will only have the skin of the plywood left if untreated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I only have a dry skin left now mate. When I bought it, I asked about if it was treated so as to avoid Termites and was told to buy the Marine Ply as it is water proof (for kitchen use) and Termite resistant. So I discovered the Termites cannot resist it! :rolleyes: The BS part was I did as told and also painted it silly using that Wood-saver stuff that is suppose to stop all Termites in their tracks, d*mn stuff is like Mayonnaise dressing to them! :sour:

Maybe Asawa now understands why I wanted to go with the Fibro-cement sheeting but being more expensive, Ply it was. Live and lean Asawa, live and learn... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Today's effort was the last before the new year. I took advantage of the workers' absence to bring in a compressor and spray gun and have a go at painting the railings and steel sheet with black enamel as planned. Bloody hot work today but very happy with the result - far better than the original idea of removing them and replacing them with hollow block. Looks far better and saved a few bob in the process! Happy New Year to all!!!!! 2017-12-31 16.48.48.jpg 2017-12-31 16.49.12.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. OP
    OP
    barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    Hi Brian: Sent you a private message to try and answer your queries! Cheers - Barry

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    All my wood was sprayed wit "Termite X' 6 years and all is good

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Silly question but.....does drywall not exist in the Philippines or is it just crazy expensive?

9. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    It is here but I don't think it holds up in most households quite as well as concrete. I think that has something to do with why there are no trailer parks here either, even though I have read there are some trailer park people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Hahahahahahahaha :smile: Best joke of the year so far (2 hours in!).

• Thanks Thanks x 1