Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia Valencia checkpoint

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Ninja, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    After spending considerable time at Ocean 24 until closing time after visiting the Geothermal plant in Valencia and seeing how the system works, on the way home around 9:30pm or later I was stopped at a large checkpoint. Needless to say there was a huge gathering at the intersection with bystanders and other riders loitering around until the checkpoint was dismantled.
    I had just converted my drivers license to a Filipino one which was checked thoroughly and I was given the all clear to go on my way when a rider and passenger went through the checkpoint without stopping. The policeman inspecting me turned around and thumped one the passenger hoping to dislodge him from the bike, in this case he didn’t. Whistles were blown frantically and my wife said to the policeman, why don’t you chase them? He said don’t worry, there is another waiting ahead waiting, meaning the ones on chaser bikes.....I also saw a foreigner have his XR impounded and he was walking home.
    This was my first experience of a checkpoint where they were checking just about anyone who passed through. Did anyone else who lives or are passing through Valencia have any issues?
    I forgot to mention that I had a few brother in laws who have not registered their bikes for some time and they were hiding in the darkness under some guava tree......they waited for and hour before the checkpoint was dismantled...

2. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Ninja, i would love a visit to the Geothermal plant how did you organise that ?

3. c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    that's how it is in the geothermal plant checkpoints because they are protecting the geothermal plants from any attack as there is always a threat.

even during the day, you can see several check points. It is a hassle, but its the price to pay for keeping the plant safe.

For tours, please visit the tourism office of valencia.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Where and what is Ocean 24? I assume this checkpoint was up Palinpinon somewhere? I have gone through one checkpoint up Palinpinon last year (daytime).

Larry

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Larry
    It's a small resort just before guard post with pool naturally fed water.

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Thanks, I seem to recall some sort of activity going on there when we were up there after Sendong, but did not pay close enough attention I guess.

Larry

7. OP
    OP
    Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    My brother in law works there. Did not have a tour as I could freely roam around. There were barangays there in different sections surrounding the plant and the air was so cool that even on a slow ride my ears were freezing! :smile: They have FREE power and water, well the first 700 kilowatts are free, something like that. :smile:

8. OP
    OP
    Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The checkpoint was nowhere near the geothermal plant......I do not know what barangay or area we stopped in but apparently it was on the news the following day in the morning.

9. OP
    OP
    Ninja

Ninja DI Member

Computer Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Larry :

Ocean 24 has two seperate pools. The main pool is cool or slightly warm while the smaller pool is a thermal pool. You can rent the small cottages there named after BRAND names like GUCCI, CHANEL, etc otherwise the small umbrella tables with 4 chairs are available also. There is no chlorine used as it is naturally free flowing constantly and is refreshing for a day out with the family.

Its 30 pesos per person to enter and you can bring your own food without charge from memory.

10. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't been there for so long...maybe 5-6 years. You used to just shoot right up to the top and get stopped at the geothermal plant entrance.

Someone mentioned the check point to me just a day or two ago. I thought he meant that plant at the lower level and any checks workers would have to go through to enter the facility.

Evidently things have changed

So did you see the bike that ran the check pulled over after you left?