Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia Valencia-Dumaguete transport after 9pm price gouging or just the market?

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by DumagueteJohn, Apr 4, 2014.

1. DumagueteJohn

DumagueteJohn DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First time in Valencia, nice place.
    Went at 8pm, tried to leave at 10 pm.
    I felt like I was at hotel california.
    12 pesos one way in the daylight and early evening.
    Then 100 pesos after 9PMish?
    Talaga?
    My Bisayan GF tried to magnegosyo the rate outside of my sight, she did no better than I would have done (I'm a "kano").
    Gotta tell ya, I don't think I'll be going there again anytime near dinnertime.
    John

2. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    you will get hit with Kano price more than just here.. I lived in Capiz...Roxas City.. the regualar fare was eight peso before it went to 10 2 years ago..The trike driver asked for 100.. I told him f*ckoff and if he doesnt want the 15 I offered him go get a policeman and I will be in my house when he comes back as I wont pay him at all.. Dammit my wife paid him.. from then on it was easier to call a taxi and I got my own guy who would come and drive me damned near anywhere at anytime..Never went past the meter down rate of 30..then 40 peso from the beach to home.

He asked me for a use pair of shoes at xmas time..sh*t..he got new ones..lol But I dont see taxi here.. at all..are there any? Only one taxi company in Roxas..but in Bacold there must be ten..here? nadda I think ??

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's a fair price at night for a local or a long nose going to Valencia. Think of it like this. A trike driver needs to make around 400-500 pesos a day just to rent the trike, put gas in it and then eat. (basically survive, this does not cover rent, wives, children or any of the crap that life throws at people.....including trike drivers)

From 9pm to 6am in Dumaguete a trike driver is going to be lucky to get 20 fares. This city is dead at night. Most of those fares will be in Dumaguete and won't be big fares and once they drop off they have a chance of getting a return fare or be close to a place where trikes congregate because of an active location.

A trike driver going to Valencia has a very unlikely chance of getting a return fare and that hill going up does use extra gas. Going down is the money maker as it uses basically no gas. (considering all the construction now they won't really get that benefit anyway)

There are some that ask way to much but for the most part they are fair enough IMO.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And no, there are not any taxi here outside of the airport. And being an expat who drives himself, I say thank god for that. The roads are congested enough as it is. Dumaguete is way too small for all the taxis it would take to handle all the public transport users. At least the trikes can handle more than one fare at a time.

5. OP
    OP
    DumagueteJohn

DumagueteJohn DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Baltoed thank you.
    "Return fare" my @ss.
    I'm like you, it seems.
    By the way, kudos on the NEW shoes for your helper.
    In Valencia, the guy tells me "nobody will hire me for return trip" .
    Ok, so in the daytime,I pay you 12 pesos one way, 24 round trip, right? (I said to him).
    So now its 10pm TEN PM so I pay you 12 pesos to take me to Dumaguete and I also pay you 12 pesos to go home after you drop me off, right? ( I said to him).
    But no, at TEN PM the one way fare has to be 100 pesos.
    F*^k that.
    When I first came to the Philippines 14 months ago, I was as polite as pie, bending over backwards to cater to this country's culture and traditions.
    Now I'm getting jaded, I couldn't give a f*^k anymore, I'm starting to get vocal.
    If I didn't think it would end up with a slug in my head, I'd buy a trike and run it all night between Valencia and Dumaguete, 15 Pesos one way.
    "City of Gentle People" my a$$.
    John

6. OP
    OP
    DumagueteJohn

DumagueteJohn DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wrye, thank you.
    I don't see it like you see it, not at all.
    I've just about had it "up to here" with "Pilipino justification" and "Pilipino logic" .
    The way I see it, there should never be any "longnose price".
    If your rate is 12 pesos each way when the sun is up, your rate should be the same when the sun is down.
    And if you operate a trike or jeepney and you don't like that fact, then stay the f*&k out of the transport business.
    (Not you, Wrye, but them....I hope you catch the import of my post)
    John

7. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Where we live (three-quarters up towards Valencia from Bacong) you can stand along the roadside for 30+ minutes before something like a trike comes by, so the easiest (also for the wife) is to just text one of the drivers at Bacong market to pick her up. Rate: 100 PHP, but that's for a round trip (he has to come from the market to where we live and drive back with mylady). Overkill? Not at all! Simply apply the conversion rate US $ or Euro to the PHP and be amazed by the cost!! When I was 'home' and wanted a taxi from the house to the train station (10 min journey) the meter would read the equivalent of PHP 750 before tip....

Vicmico

8. baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6

9. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    We have a trike that the father in law normally drives so I have gotten to know quite a few trike drivers, like previously mentioned these guys are mostly good guys that are trying to earn some pesos to take care of their families.

I drive more where I am currently at than I do in the Philippines, public transportation is cheap and easy. I never pay attention to how much it costs, the wife knows how much it should cost and she just pays at the end of the trip; never saw any discussions or disagreements. She'll have these guys (and me) sitting around for a couple hours as she does her shopping.

Did see my little 40 kilo spark plug kick a taxi and scare the sh*t out of some security guards at a mall in Manila when quoted a price for a taxi. I did not think the price was too high but got to love the wife and her frugal ways.

Shawn

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I have lived in Valencia for nearly 10 years. Most of the time I have lived up here we have been without a four wheeled vehicle, and have often used the trikes when hauling supplies, building materials, etc. The cost for a special trip by trike to or from Dumaguete is P150-P200, and always has been. Trikes often run from the city limit to Dumaguete for P12, however, they stop and pick up as many passengers along the way as they can (at P12 each) in order to meet expenses.

I also have a friend with a Honda TMX (just like most of the trike drivers) with a sidecar. Although his sidecar weighs about the same as the passenger type, it has much less wind resistance as it is made out of pipe, not form bar and sheet metal. I have borrowed this trike MANY times. It costs P40-P50 to run it to Dumaguete and back. Although going down the hill it doesn't seem to burn much, coming up the hill it is nearly wide open the entire way.

To expect a trike driver to make a special trip to Duma and back for you for P12 (or even P24) is ludicrous, and makes the rest of us look bad. There are some trike drivers around that will rip the foreigner, but they are in the minority and most them hang around the pier and the airport. Most everyday drivers are just family guys trying to earn an honest living, and on a good day after expenses earn about P300.

Larry