Dumaguete Info Search

Veggie gardening

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by garbonzo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    I know it's boring for most...but i do love growing my own veggies. In our backyard I grow about three-quarters of what we need - plus a few tropicals to keep my wife happy (I like them too though). I love it....keeps me entertained and has saved us thousands of dollars. We have a thousand metre lot near Bacolod and I intend to do the same there. If you are into that sort of thing....how are you going at it on Negros? Is it worthwhile there? I have asked on other forums - but haven't got much response....they'd rather buy them in - complete with god knows what pesticides - or don't care as long as the SM is cold. Most seem too lazy to care to be blunt. Have a few chooks too here and will do the same there should we make the move....Best animals on the planet...chooks...produce eggs...sh*t like crazy and eat almost anything....the manure is wonderful on the veggies after it's aged a bit. Few chooks and a veggie patch - and you can survive anything...

2. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I too plan on having a garden for sustainment purposes in Dumaguete but that is a few years away so I will be watching this post too. Here in Florida we grow Eggplant, almost all varieties of peppers, Ocra, Onions and asawa ko tried to plant corn but I think the heat was too much for them. We are using almost no fertilizers and seem to be having great luck with just potting soil, water and sunshine. I need to learn more about the various methods of cultivation so post away please.

3. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Garbonzo,

Thanks for starting this thread as gardening is something that I will definitely be doing when we get moved there.

There are a number of veggies that I would like to grow in PI but not sure where or if seeds ar available. Tomatoes are a favorite of mine but the ones available there are not to my taste as I like them raw and ripe and red or yellow. I'm also fond of spinach and have successfully used a technique for sprouting during warm weather as spinach will only sprout at about 40 F. I'm strickly an organic gardener using heirloom seeds when possible as the taste is awesome.
    The "chooks" you describe sound like a bird that I'm familiar with called a chicken. :D
    Looking forward to more posts on this subject.

4. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Chooks AKA Red Junglefowl

Not to get off the subject, chicken sh*t is a very good fertilizer because of its high nitrogen content. Which also makes it a good explosive ingredient.
    Now for a little chicken history.
    Conventional wisdom has held that the chicken was domesticated in India, but recent evidence suggests that domestication of the chicken was already under way in Vietnam over 10,000 years ago.
    The chicken is believed to have descended from both the Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) and the Grey Junglefowl (G. sonneratii), though hybrids of both wild types usually tend to be sterile. Recent genetic work has revealed that the genotype for yellow skin present in the domestic fowl is not present in what is otherwise its closest kin, the Red Junglefowl. It is most likely that the yellow skin trait in domestic birds originated in the Grey Junglefowl.
    Thought you would like to know.

5. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I really like the idea of growing my own veggies at home too, but I have two dogs that nibble on anything so I don't think I can do that, but I really appreciate people who are into it.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    How I wish anyone in my little family would have a kind of "green thumb" but even plastic-flowers wither and die :-(

Maybe my theory is correct that vegetables only grow at the local market...

7. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    uuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, NO :D :D :D

8. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wife planted a rock garden and 3 of them died. :D

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hehe... guess we got a winner...

10. gmcvandura

gmcvandura DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Veggie, whats this huhhhhh

HI GARBONZA, I DID NOT KNOW YOU HAVE A SOFT SIDE .. VEGGIE.... IM GOOOD AT THIS THINGS.. I SUPPLY ALMOST ALL MY FRIENDS HERE IN CANADA DURING SUMMER TIME.. WE HAVE ONLY ABOUT 4 TO 5 MONTHS TO PLANT AND HARVEST HERE. BUT OUR SOIL HERE IS VERY FERTILE, COZ WE ONLY USE IT 4 TO 5 MONTHS A YEAR. LONG SQUASH IS ABOUT 6 TO 7 FEET. BUT THE VARIETY IS ITALIAN.. BUT SOME TRICK IS NEEDED TO PUSH TO HAVE FRUITS BEFORE WINTER ARRIVES.... ILL BRING SOME SEED TO DUMAGUETE AND TRY. HOPE ILL GROW. BUT I LOVE THAT IDEA OF HAVING CHICKEN IN THE BACKYARD. I WILL TRY THAT ONE TOO. IM EXCITED TO BE THERE IN DUMAGUETE . AT LEAST THEY HAVE 12 MONTHS TO DO ALL what they want, LIKE ROBINSON CRUESO..