Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicle shipping/importing

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by pvgruitza, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvgruitza

pvgruitza DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am told bringing a vehicle into the Philippines can be prohibitively expensive. I have some quotations on shipping fees, which from the USA to Cebu/Manila are about $3500. I am not getting good information about importation fees, tariffs, etc., which may in fact prove to be the deal breaker.
    Anyone know about this business? Information would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    pvgruitza

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Under the table!

3. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    IF (and thats a big if,lol) you dont get raped at customs or lose the car/truck to a sleazy officer you will pay approximately 30% of what they decide is fair market value. Considering all the cars available for sale here its probably better to sell what you have in the usa, buy something here with a clean or/cr and save the grief and possible heartburn of trying to bring something in. A dangerous proposition for an experienced resident and unfortunately I hear more horror stories than happy endings when it comes to bringing in your favorite ride from the states. Good luck!

4. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Sell your car back home, use the money to buy one here. Less issue with parts and repairs, etc if you pick the right one ..

If you do not have grey hairs already, you will by the time you are finished being bent over the barrel bringing a car in and will not be able to sit down for quite a fee weeks .. In other words, how much grief do you want in your life ..

Cheers

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    One needs to expect it to be closer to 100% by the time they are done. Also, if the vehicle is over 5 years old it cannot be imported at all, except as parts.

Larry

6. OP
    OP
    pvgruitza

pvgruitza DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Vehicle shipping/importing.

I do remember being cautioned about trying to import vehicles, but nothing so specific or so definitive as the advice you contributors kindly gave. I love my old ride, as at one time I loved my ex-wife, but I found the Filipina replacement to be better, and evidently that goes for cars too. Again, thanks.
    pvgruitza

7. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0

I wouldn't even consider bring it here. I had a 4 year old, highly customized Harley and the shipping was estimated at $2,300 USD. The book value was estimated at $10,000 USD and a customs import duty of about 100% (up to about 150%). That's just plain crazy. I sold my bike and gave my daughter my car.

Cars, trucks and motorcycles are very reasonably priced here. Avoid un-neede hassles and just come and enjoy life here.

8. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And on the motorcycle thing, someone on a biker site told me to take it apart and ship it as salvaged parts (no import duty), and another person said that a friend of his did that and every crate arrived perfectly here EXCEPT for the crate with the motor ($5,000 plus in the USA). Hummmmm
    Sell there and buy here.......

9. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Even if it DID arrive, see how you go with the LTO registering it with no proof of origin, no receipts for the duties and taxes, etc. Even if you were able to "fix" those problems, consider the poor sod who may buy it when you decide you have had enough and did not understand how it was brought in and ends up with a ton of trouble on his plate ..

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.