Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicular Accident

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by reich31e, Jan 6, 2015.

1. reich31e

reich31e DI Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 12
    [​IMG]
    Hulagway ug Kasikas sa Dumaguete
    5 hrs ·
    ‪#‎HUKADIris‬ (Incident Report and Information Sharing)
    Photo Sent by: Maricar Primicias
    Vehicular accident.
    A 20-year-old swedish man was killed Tuesday morning after he lost control of his motorcycle along Real and San Jose street, the victim is indentified as Marcos Hanson.
    His companion Jacob Peterson who sustained injuries was brought to SUMC.
    -omar

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Gore pictures will not be posted in this forum, this is rubbernecking in its worst form. If Team HUKAD wants to lower themselves to being a gore page then that's on them. Respect for the deceased will be shown here. This man could be a father, husband or brother to someone. I wouldn't want pictures of my loved one's dead body posted all over the internet and I certainly wouldn't want my kids (if I had any) to see pictures of my lifeless body laid out on the highway. I will let the post and link stand in case people want information on the wreck but I am editing out the picture.

That being said, appears that the man was not wearing a helmet. It is quite possible that his life could have been saved if he had been wearing one. Use your head people. Helmets save lives. I'm not one having the government force people to be safe, if someone isn't smart enough to take care of their own body then we should let Darwinism do its thing. Best wishes to this man's family. It's a shame that his death could have been prevented.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    reich31e

reich31e DI Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 12
    You are right. Shouldnt include the Picture in my copy and paste. Sorry and thanks for editing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No worries. No harm no foul.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    reich31e

reich31e DI Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 12
    Swedish man dies in vehicle collision
    By Juancho R. Gallarde (The Freeman) | Updated January 7, 2015 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines – A 20-year-old Swedish man was declared dead on arrival at the hospital at 4:30 a.m. yesterday following a vehicular collision in Dumaguete City involving his motorcycle and a cargo truck loaded with sugarcane.
    The victim, identified through his passport, was Markus Andre Hansson, a bachelor tourist residing temporarily at East Balabag in Valencia town of Negros Oriental.
    His backrider, Jacob Anders Peterson, 19, also a Swedish bachelor, sustained bruises in different parts of his body. The two were brought to the Silliman University Medical Center Foundation Inc.
    Initial police investigation disclosed the two were riding a motorbike, travelling from east to west direction and apparently under the influence of liquor after having a drinking spree at the city's Rizal Boulevard.
    The truck driver, Pindo Milendres Palomar, 21 and single, resident of Siaton town, said the motorcycle was speeding fast and hit the front portion of his vehicle, which was traveling at the opposite direction. He said he tried to apply the brakes but it was too late.
    The truck was registered in the name of Sara Jane Antoniette Lachenmayer who sent her lawyer, Joel Obar to talk with the victims while extending the needed assistance.
    Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:
    Obar told the police to proceed with the filing of reckless imprudence charges resulting to homicide and physical injuries against Palomar so he will be able to post bail even if an amicable settlement is reached between the two sides.
    The land lady of the victim, who is also a foreigner, told Obar that Hansson had been drinking almost daily along with his friends and she even advised the Swede not to drink too much. She added that it was the second accident of Hansson, the first of which was in Valencia .
    Hansson was with 15 other Swedes who spent their Christmas holidays in Dumaguete City and are temporarily residing at Country Corazon Homes in Sibulan town.

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I never understood this. If the person was driving drunk why on earth would you charge the victim? I see it far too often that the person that was just going about their way and doing nothing wrong and then becomes a victim of a reckless/drunk/crazy driver will get charged with a crime. I think someone just wants their motorcycle to have the damages paid for.....since the person that rented it is not longer around to do so. (I'm curious if the motorcycle was even properly insured.)

Imprudence connotes a deficiency of action. It implies a failure in precaution or a failure to take the necessary precaution once the danger or peril becomes foreseen.[7] Thus, something more than mere negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle is necessary to constitute the offense of reckless driving, and a willful and wanton disregard of the consequences is required.[8] Willful, wanton or reckless disregard for the safety of others within the meaning of reckless driving statutes has been held to involve a conscious choice of a course of action which injures another, either with knowledge of serious danger to others involved, or with knowledge of facts which would disclose the danger to any reasonable person.[9]

Who can be expected to reasonably predict the actions a drunk driver will take?

See the full article on this law at this link.

Unless the truck driver was breaking some law by driving on the national highway I don't see the truck driver as guilty. In most countries with a reasonable judicial system and driving laws, if a person causes an accident while being intoxicated it almost always their fault (same with unlicensed drivers) regardless of who would normally be at fault. You shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. If the truck driver was breaking a law then I could see it as a "no fault" accident. Of course, I have yet to be approached by a Philippine Judge on what my opinion was on a case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I will note that I was not there and do not know the circumstances of the wreck. Without knowing the BAC of the expat and seeing the accident first hand it is impossible to know if the truck driver was actually to blame. It very well could have been the truck driver's fault. We will never truly know.

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Have heard this a few times here now. Couple of years ago I remember someone jumped infront of the lrt train and committed suicide! Who was charged and arrested? The train driver. Never understood this either!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. albundy

albundy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 13
    yesss , only in the ph ,

10. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As I read it, it was the truck drivers lawyer that wanted the police to press charges.
    My guess is, that the driver is in custody, awaiting someone to press charges against him, and his lawyer is so convinced the case will be dropped, that he urge them to press charges, so he can post bail for the drivers immediate release.
    If they don't they should release him anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1