Dumaguete Info Search

very costly love...

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by dumaguetenia, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumaguetenia

dumaguetenia DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Falling for Internet date cost American P100,000

By Chito O. Aragon
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 21:42:00 11/26/2009

Filed Under: Crime, relationships and dating, Internet

CEBU CITY, Philippines—American Allan Toor thought he was lucky to have met and become engaged to a Filipina through an Internet dating website.

He waited for her to arrive at the Hollywood International Airport in Florida in mid-October, with flowers and chocolates in hand. No one came.

She not only ran off with about P100,000 of his money but gave Toor a false name and a nonexistent address in Cebu.

She also used the photo of Filipina singer-actress Karylle, the daughter of singer Zsa Zsa Padilla, to identify herself to Toor.

In a letter sent to Senior Supt. Patrocinio Comendador Jr., chief of Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), Toor asked police to help him locate the girl who introduced herself as Arkishra Toribio Manuel, who claimed to be 29-years-old and a native of Zamboanga City who had established residence in Consolacion, Cebu.

“I am now asking you to look into this matter as she may be making thousands of dollars and scamming others. However, if she took the money from me, where is she now? Still in Manila or home?” Toor’s letter read.

In his 10-page letter dated Oct. 19, 2009 received early this week by Comendador, Toor said he began chatting with Arkishra in early September through the dating website called “Cherry Blossom.”

“We built friendship that led to a serious relationship,” Toor said.

He said after Manuel agreed to become his fiancée, they began planning her trip to the United States.

Toor claimed he sent money to Manuel for her placement fee, visa processing, airfare and dormitory expenses in Manila totaling about P100,000. She was supposed to arrive on Oct. 16 in Florida.

To identify herself to Toor, Manuel sent to the American a scanned copy of supposedly her visa that had Karylle’s photo on it.

In his letter to the police, Toor attached a photocopy of Arkishra’s visa with Karylle’s picture on it and some photos of Karylle taken from her blog.

Police, however, were not equipped to handle Toor’s case and decided to turn it over to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group since the unit has a cyber crimes section based in Camp Crame, according to Senior Insp. George Ylanan, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detective Management Branch of the Cebu police.

Police said the woman whom Toor met through the Internet obviously fooled the American.

She claimed to be staying at “Liomo Highway, Sitio Street, Consolacion town.” Police said there was no such place in Consolacion.

An Internet search made on the name “Arkishra Toribio Manuel” showed that she was in the Twitter account of another foreigner, identified as a Gary Wigle, who appeared to be her boyfriend, police said.

...i think, this guy haven't read the DI forum. If he did , it will not happened to him.:eek:

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    that would be nice, I but I can surely tell you that you get from 99% of the longnoses the answer: " I read it all, but my girl is so different". Well, it is the same what 99% of the girls say: "Take care of the scammer, there are many out there, but I am different".

Speaking for me, I still can't decide if I should feel pity for the "high educated" white countrymen who know all about the PI after having 3 chats with an internet-love from a dating - page.

Or just send those girls a congrats-card.

I rather sit with some pretty Western-Union-sponsored girls having a drink and laughing about the funny stories, than with a bunch of grumpy people complaining about each and everything...

Well maybe I am selfish, but if I wanna listen to that complaining-CD on repeat mode, I consider a trip to Germany, Why Not Restaurant or Coco Amigos :smile:

I know some guys who make professional investigations here in the Visayas.Their stories are actually funny too. The poor male victims rather spend hundred of thousand US$ in their "love,lot and future pamily" instead of 200 - 500 in a investigation.

3. gmcvandura

gmcvandura DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bad experience"""

what is the secret to sucess? " Right Decisions "
    How do you make right Decisions? "Experience "
    How do you get Experience? "Wrong Decisions "

So sorry to hear about this..

4. barramac

barramac DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    100,000p he got off lightly

5. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    LOL....it happens....friend of mine back in the 80's with a Filipino wife was so enthused he recommended another friend do the same. Which he did....and eventually got cozy with a Filipina....got her a visa after a LOT of effort and she came down - and disappeared as soon as she got off the plane in Sydney...she didn't make her flight to Perth. Was caught eventually and deported....Some gems out there - but some of them are very rough....

6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Surely someone that stupid has lost much more money in past foolish adventures. The "filipina" wasn't ambitious enough.

7. Judy

Judy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am sorry to hear about the story of Allan Toor. This woman needs to be in jail, it is a shame. I hope Allan Toor won't give up because i know that there are lots of nice filipina out there.

8. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Who is to say that it was even a woman that scammed him?

9. gmcvandura

gmcvandura DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    this case is very elementary. Hope your not a college graduate, cuz if you are better sue the university where you graduate from....

10. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I met my wife on the internet...so far 2 kids and a great life. No regrets. But as always your mileage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.