Dumaguete Info Search

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by BlancoDiablo, Sep 5, 2014.

1. BlancoDiablo

BlancoDiablo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Would there be any interest in starting a VFW Post in Dumaguete City? How many U.S. Military Combat Veterans are in the area that would support starting a Post?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I see this post didn't get much attention when it was posted but it was the first thing I found when I searched "VFW Dumaguete" in Google. I myself am a veteran and would be interested in this. Not sure if you are still around @BlancoDiablo but letting you know I am interested and looking into this.

I'm not sure if @Kojak has ever looked into this or considered it but I know he is a veteran as well. Any information others might have would be greatly appreciated.

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I wonder how the one in Angeles is doing. Is it just another watering hole or a place where brothers can come together and chat or sit in silence? I imagine we would show our DD214 to gain membership; thus, perhaps keeping some of the make-believe special forces guys out.
    Has anyone belonged to the Angeles VFW and can share their experiences? Thanks

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    From the VA website:

[DOUBLEPOST=1429194254,1429194131][/DOUBLEPOST]Also:

5. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I missed this post as well...my first question would be if there is a large enough community of qualified US vets to support it; not just Dumaguete but including the entire island and counting on folks from Cebu and the closer islands. My understanding is that most vets congregate around Angeles and Subic...not stating facts, just what I read/heard.

A thing I think would be truly cool would be a place for veterans of all countries to have a place. We serve together, have served together and will serve together in the future. I agree proof of honorable service (for us the DD214 and/or retired ID) and the assumption that our partners have a similar system.

Retired USAF MSgt, Electrician; not special forces.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I agree that something for veterans from all countries (including the Philippines) would probably be more appropriate and popular for Dumaguete. Is there an organization that already exists for veterans of all nationalities? I personally don't care if a person is a veteran from the US, UK, Australia, China.....or even Iran.

• Like Like x 2
  7. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm a US Vet and qualified for VFW membership. I'll be in Dumaguete in Summer 2016 and would like to be a part of a Dumaguete VFW Post.

Keep me posted....

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Like Like x 1