Dumaguete Info Search

visa before flying??

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Nehalennia, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nehalennia

Nehalennia DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello. I was in Dumaguete three months last summer. Came over on the usual 21 day visa from US, renewed visa twice - no problem. I recently booked a 6 month round trip ticket on Cathay Pacific, but when I called to get seat confirmation, the agent told me I could not board the plane at LAX without a 6 month visa. I told him I'd get the proper renewals once in the Philippines, but he insisted that I couldn't get on the plane without the visa. A different agent confirmed this. I still think they'll let me on the plane, but I'd hate to be turned away at the airport. Anyone run into a situation like this before?
    Thanks.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Hello, I think your travelagent is wrong. I think there is no 6 month visa existing in the Philippines. As a tourist staying longer then 21 days you make your normal waiver for 38 days (21 + 38)to a total of 59 days and after that for for two month. You can stay up to 24 month (new since August 2007)

You have a roundtrip (so a ticket to leave the philippines) it shoud not cause any troubles.
    What if you fly after two weeks to Thailand and other destinations in Asia to travel this Area. (Booking the flights in the Philippines cause the price is cheaper). And thats none of the business of yur Agent.
    Why should you have a 6 month visa then???
    You passport need to be vaild 6 month beyond your planed stay in the Philippines thats all.

Giver you Airline a mail or the philippine embassy:
    Embassy of the Philippines, Washington DC
    or look here
    Philippines : Gov.Ph : Frequently Asked Questions : Philippines

All my information are based on "Tourist" status.
    I hope I could help you and I am quite sure your agent tells you Bull...

cheers and enjoy your stay

Rhoody

3. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ran into the same bullshit here in Canada and it all came down to ignorance on the part of the booking agent. Unfortunately, I can't remember how I got it resolved. I think I simply called the local Phil Consulate office and told them I preferred to get my stamps in the Phils and they told me to tell the Cathay agent they are mistaken and to call the Consulate if they tried to push the matter. So do call the consulate in your area or ask them why they are letting Canadians book 3 month tickets without a visa. By the way, your last name isn't Mohammed is it ?

4. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. Melvin Tinklehopper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe the visa stamp is a requirement now for flying out of Canada?

6. OP
    OP
    Nehalennia

Nehalennia DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    visa before flying??

Thanks for the tips, guys. I don't think I'll have any problem. My US passport is good for years. I don't know why two agents at Cathay told me I couldn't fly on a six month round trip ticket without a 6 month visa. I'm certain I can ignore them and get on the plane as scheduled. Can't wait to get out of smoky southern California. See you in January.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    there are no 6 month tourist visa in the philippines... can't you get your seat-confirmation with cathay online? (not sure about that).
    Tell the cathay-agent that you use Manila as a 1 week stopover before you continue your Asia-trip, so no need for a Visa...

Rhoody

8. Melvin Tinklehopper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Good method for missing the flight on the night of departure, always clear up problems before you show up with your ticket and suitcase.

9. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think maybe that this was the solution to my problem a couple of years ago with the same BS. I think the telephone agent through this obstacle in my way, but, I ended up getting the exact same tkt through a travel agent and ther was no problem. You may want to try that. Even though you booked directly with Cathay, travel agents will welcome your business to pay for your tkt through them because it gives them some sort of airport points the more tkts they handle. So the travel agent won't bill you for the handling but will make the visa requirement go away..... until you land of course. I can't remember why my brother and I sailed through our tkt bookings this past year though. We were staying for 3 months. I think it must be because I booked through Cathay's online booking center. Get in touch with a travel agent.

10. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi Nehalenna, how is it down there in smoky southern cal.? Are your family OK? It's really heart breaking to watch the news and the big fire ravaging homes and devouring everything in it's path. It did not make feel good because we are safe here in the northern part of calif., but to think of the victims who lost everything makes me sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.