Dumaguete Info Search

Visa overstay amnesty offered

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Show Pony, Nov 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
  2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    The link doesn't seem to work, but I have friends that got screwed over and could use the info.

3. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    Correct it does not work.
    It did work when I posted it, I checked. Beats me :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Did your friends get screwed over or did they not do what they were supposed to do? I've been dealing with immigration in the Philippines on and off for 10+ years and the only person that has ever screwed me over was myself when I didn't keep up with my visa requirements. It is up to the tourist/immigrant to keep up with changes to the requirements of their stay and then make sure they stay within the law.

If I were in charge of immigration there would be no amnesty given without a d*mn good reason (medical/physical/mental disability...note: "stupid" and/or "lazy" are not mental disabilities). There should be some leeway given after a rule changes but anyone over 6 months+ overstaying should be detained and deported if they can't pay the moment they try to renew/are caught. There is no excuse for being 6+ months late on a visa renewal/requirement. /opinion

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have been here longer than most and understand many others situation and not trying to talk bad, the friends I posted about came with enough cash to live and build a house and have a loving wife until their retirement income started. Something went wrong and the 3 I know had their wife bail out and left the country with the visa in hand that was provided by the man along with all the money leaving him dead broke. I agree she should not have had access to the bank account, but many of us were brought up to trust our loved ones and as we know now that can work in the right situation and crash and burn in others.
    I'm not a man to be an expert on what others have done and don't jump in their face and call them stupid. I hope my post will be taken in the right way.

Anyway here is a link I found.
    http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/live-and-retire/visa

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    I looked at your link and it said visas that are out of date more than two years can not avail of the amnesty program. Do you know when that document came out?
    My link that is broken said the cost to fix an overdue visa was 25,000 peso per year which seems reasonable.
    The newspaper article did not mention the 2 year limit. Details were a little sketchy.

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884

The link worked for me, although I had to wait the 5 seconds it mentioned on the screen. I hope this helps some. Here is a copy paste of the article:

The Bureau of Immigration wants to grant amnesty to 500,000 illegal and undocumented aliens, BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said yesterday.

He said under the amnesty program, an illegal alien would have to pay P25,000 for each year they overstayed in the country.

Morente said the amnesty proposal is a win-win situation for the government and for the illegals since some of them are giving protection money to unscrupulous BI personnel and police officers.

“Right now, paying for their protection is costing them more. If these foreigners go through the process and pay their correct taxes to government they would have peace of mind... On the side of government, it will earn more revenue,” he said.

Morente hopes Malacañang would approve the amnesty proposal, which has been submitted to the Department of Justice.

Morente said about 500,000 foreigners – mostly Chinese, Indians and a few South Koreans – have been illegally staying and working in the country in the past number of years.

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    That link says sept 22nd but does not give the year,it must be very old as if you expand on the link it reads like this!

Tourist Visa Fees

Visa Fees for a tourist visa staying a year in the Philippines are 14,810.00, US$ 263 per year. This could be reduced by P3,000 by $53 by not paying getting the express fee service. That means you would have to go back after a few days and pick up the visa, no big problem if you live near the immigration office.

On this "Tourist Visa" you must leave the country once a year. Some just go to Hong Kong for a couple of hours or days. The cheapest way is to go to Malaysia by boat, from Cebu and back five days and P1,900. Others go to Thailand, a few dollars more, but a place some feel in more hospitable and more fun than Hong Kong. You can get flights to these places easily, and tour rates including hotels for US$250 to $350 including hotel room.

Many stay for years on the tourist Visa, a good deal I believe. And it is good to get out of the country at least once a year for some. There are a lot of things to see in the world a lot of the most interesting things to me are near the Philippines, the "hub of Asia," right in the center.

When you arrive in the RP you will be given a tourist stamp in your passport which is valid for 21 days. Before the expiration of the 21 days you must visit a RP Immigration office and request a 39 day extension, for total of 59 days. Thereafter, you can request and receive extensions of two calendar months each (i.e., April 1 to June 1).

9. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I was actually surprised to even see month/day. We can thank Google for that crap as they decided to penalize websites for 'older' dates so websites stopped dating things. Drives me crazy wanting the most current information on a subject but the sites have been Googleized so I don't know if I am wasting my time with 10 year old information or if it was updated yesterday. I would go on but just getting further off topic so I won't... :banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    The information seems to be current, as I found another news website with pretty much the same story. As mentioned before, it says that the program is not yet implemented.
    BI eyes another alien amnesty

• Informative Informative x 2