Dumaguete Info Search

Visa Question Visa "Procurement"

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by Rye83, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I know the process for extending a tourist visa. I'm curious if there is a way to "process" a permanent resident visa to a single US citizen. I have heard employing 10 Filipinos will get you one.

I was told to talk to the officer in immigration about the subject but I would like to go armed with as much information as possible and know what could possibly be asked of/from me. What is a fair "quid pro quo" for this type of interaction.

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
  3. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    There was a sign outside the BI office in Cebu last month saying something to the effect of, "Attn Foreigners: Want to stay in the Philippines indefinitely? Employ 10 Filipinos..."

I think that law was passed a few years ago, guess the new Commissioner has decided to promote it. I don't know the details, but I would not worry about needing to be 'armed' with a lot of information to go talk to Peter at the Dumaguete Immigration office about it. He is a star in the BI and is very helpful...it will not be a hostile environment.

Also, employing 10 Filipinos is not your only option...their is also the "Quota Visa" of which a limited number are allotted for various nationalities each year. The US slots fill up quickly and are made available at the beginning of the year. Various BI agents "sell" these visas for between P100,000 and P200,000. However, having talked to people who have ponied up for these in the past, most felt it was a waste of cash. You will have to begin paying Philippine Travel Tax each time you leave the country and I think their may be a re-entry fee, etc. But, it does mean you would not have to trek down the Immigration every 2 months.

There is also the retirement visa, but I know you are not old enough for that.

Speaking of the new BI Commissioner...Cebu is now enforcing the long pants, enclosed shoes, no tank-top dress code again. The 'Walang Corruption' Aquino appointed General who now heads the BI has had more "No Fixer" signs posted and I guess decided to set the strict tone by bringing the dress code back. So now, if you arrive without proper dress code, the guard will inform you that you can wait outside and one of the agents will come out to do your paperwork outside and 'fix' your problem...for a fee, of course. Walang corruption. Heckuva job.

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I ran across that poster about employing ten Filipinos in a lawyers office in Cebu about a year or so ago. I remember them inviting me to a back room to talk about ways to "employ" ten Filipinos. At the time I was against doing things the "Filipino way" but have since warmed up to the idea as it seems the only way to get things done here.

I might go visit a lawyer to "work out" this 10 Filipino visa. Seems like my best option.

I think the quota visa is 50/country? I've had the option to buy one for 100k thrown at me a couple times. I would be curious as to what the entry/exit tax would be. I'm sure they are milking the cash cow dry as with everything else here.

5. derivative_guru

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I would be curious as to their suggestions for "employment". I think Peter, the officer at Dmgte BI is a honest guy so I doubt you will get any of the under-the-table solutions from him, but at least you will now what your legitimate options are supposed to be. (If that is of any value...)

I don't know the fees associated with re-entry, etc on the Quota visa that I am sure a few members here have them and can enlighten you. The Philippine Travel Tax is P1,620 each time one exits the country.

Are you just hoping to avoid extensions or is this for a business purpose to seek another form of visa? (Might effect which is the best solution.)

6. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Travel tax plus the exit clearance which I think is in the 2800 peso range now...

So with Manila terminal fee you are looking at around $100 on top of your plane ticket to leave the country...

7. derivative_guru

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Pretty stiff if one travels much! My last flight out of the country only cost $50!

Dane, does that mean there is no re-entry fee? Only the exit clearance?

8. derivative_guru

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I was thinking recently...do other countries charge their citizens a tax to leave their own country?

Also...I have never noticed terminal fees in other countries...is the PI out front on that one as well?

9. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    All country's have terminal fees but normaly it is part of the "taxes and fees" that are included in your ticket price.
    Besides of the Philippines i think Peru (South America)is the only country to collect terminal fees in the airport.

10. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Understood. The offer came from a lawyer, don't think much else needs to be said there. I'm sure the employment would be a false corporation, with poor or nonexistent/deceased person. Like I said, at the time I wasn't exploring the idea. I'm sure there is all sort of ways to "employ" 10 Filipinos on paper.

I am interested in actually creating a business (I have a registered LLC in the states, not sure if I can employ here under that name though.) but I am skeptical of the Filipino contract laws. Seems there are far to many ways to get out of a contract here if a Filipino second guesses a decision. I also refuse to get married here. Will never happen.....NEVER.

Extensions are a pain and costly. Business is something I am interested in but I am very wary of trusting anyone, especially in this country.