Dumaguete Info Search

Visit Dumaguete next month

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pearly, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Pearly

Pearly DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Hi my name is Pearly..me and my husband will visit dumaguete next month.. Any suggestion for a good clean but not pricey hotel ?

We are also looking on possibility of settling in Dumaguete or somewhere near.. Is northern part is good place to consider? How is it like there when it comes to internet and cable service are there good? And also how easy or difficult to drive from there to dumaguete?

Thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction. A decent hotel I recommend is Hotel Palwa. I'm sure others will come on and recommend other places.

What do you mean by the northern part of Dumaguete? Sibulan is north of Dumaguete, Valencia is northwest and Bacong is south. I prefer Valencia for the cooler weather (particularly the cooler nights) but several people live in Bacong and like it there. I don't see much appeal in Sibulan myself but there might be a few living out there that can recommend it. Driving from Valencia is usually not a problem during the day but during the two traffic hours (before and after work/school) can be a bit of a hassle and slow going. Driving in Dumaguete during the day is going to be slow going much like any city in the Philippines.

Internet lacking pretty much everywhere in the Philippines and Dumaguete is no exception. If you are just doing light browsing and emailing you should have much problem but if you need fast internet you will be paying quite a bit for it (and it won't be all that reliable. You shouldn't have any problems with cable television.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you and your Hubby settle in!

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Pearly

Pearly DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Thank you for your reply.

I am looking on olx website regarding the prices of lots. And the prices seems be cheap in part of amlan and san jose. I just dont have an idea how it is like living there if there are groceries, market around or place to dine out or bar forsome few drinks . I am just using google map on how far is it from Dumaguete and seems not really far, around 20 to 30 min drive, not sure if its accurate :wink:

Maybe also try to check Valencia too

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm sure there is a market to buy groceries (the locals need to eat right?). Don't know what type of standard the food might meet. I am unaware of any nightlife in the area. Maybe a few beach resorts nearby that have a bar (probably not many regulars there). I am sure there are plenty of videoke places to enjoy a warm Red Horse if that's your thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Hi Pearly, welcome to the forum.
    I've been living in this area for 4 years now. Not too much north of Dumaguete ( San Jose, Sibulan, etc), unless you want to go 'native'. But there are a few areas that are not bad. For example, Sibulan has an OK town center for strolling/sitting with a bottle of water, second-hand cloths for sale, etc. A few small resorts just north where mostly locals, some expats go.
    Once you get past Sibulan, it's a nice drive up the national highway. But traffic Dumaguete-Sibulan can be ruff. At times, stop and go for most of the way. As others have mentioned; Valencia, Bacong, and even Dauin are nicer; much better resort choices, cleaner air. etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Welcome to the forum Pearly. I live in Bacong, first small town south of Dumaguete. You can find good size lots here that are less-expensive than Dumaguete. Only a 10-12 minute ride to Robinson's Mall or Hypermart for shopping. At this time, there is less traffic going into town than from the north. Air is clean and minutes to the beach. Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
  8. OP
    OP
    Pearly

Pearly DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Thank you very much for welcoming me to forum and suggestions..

We have been to dumaguete as planned..we spend at least a week just to go around and definitely will be back next time hopefully longer to start looking for a place to live.. We are definitely planning to retire in philippines maybe 3 years from now or so...depending on our savings :wink:

This forum really great... as we know what to expect before coming in dumaguete from reading posts.

When it comes to traffic..i think nothing beats manila :wink:..so i guess traffic there is not as bad as we get in manila..

once again thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  9. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hi Perly, Dave here. I'm new to Dumaguete also but not to the PI. I may be able to help with general questions on the Philippines. I'll give it a try anyways and if I don't know will not make up something you may want to hear and tell you like it is. anyways if you have specifice ask and I'll answer if I can. I stayed at C&L Suitesa month plus ago on my first trip here and found the location good in middle of town near park with friendly staff and clean rooms and an ok restaurant on top floor and reasonable prices about $30 per night.