Dumaguete Info Search

visiting august

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Kees, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Kees

Kees DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since i plan to retire soon I will be in Cebu and Dumaguette during 2nd half august to check out how life is there. I will stay in Cebu at first. does anyone know a reasonable hotel in Cebu - 3 or 4 star - and which area is the best to stay in Cebu ?. after couple days Cebu will head for Dumaguette. Anyone can recommend a 3-4 star hotel there ?
    hope i get some feedback
    cheers/Kees

2. tomcat

tomcat DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hotels in Cebu, etc.

"August traveler" Its been sometime since i have been in any hotels, resorts in Cebu, etc but i will try to give u my opinions. Remember that names and management may have changed. 1. Manila: Stayed at Pan Pacific downtown, very nice, safe and good dining. Depending on your tastes you can book some other interesting places. I tried to get into the hotel on Corrigidore island but missed my time. In Cebu i can recommend the Blue Water and Shangri La resorts, on the ocean. Nice but pricy. Stayed at the Cebu Plaza, also nice , safe and not cheap. If u want to experience resorts Filippino style i would suggest the Ocean Pearl , its on Mactan near the airport like Shangri La and Blue water but a lot cheaper.

3. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Kees,

you may try the website of Asiatravel.com for hotels and pretty good deals in Manilla and Cebu. I would personally recommend Nicanor for your stay in Duma - if you're flying in let them know and they will arrange for pick-up at the airport.

Good luck,

Vicmico

4. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
  5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    In August for 1 week:
    Maribago blue water beach resort: 56,364.00 pesos.
    Shangli-la Mactan resort & spa:98,814.00 pesos.

Tip not included.

6. OP
    OP
    Kees

Kees DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks to all for the replies. it will be a holiday but mostly my wife and me want to explore how life is in Cebu and Duma so we can decide where to settle down. So we do not really need 5 star hotels/resorts like Shangrila but 3-4 stars would be enough. Are the resorts/hotels in Cebu all in same part of town or is the beach stretched over many many miles ?. Which area in Cebu would be nice to stay ?. sorry for the many questions but we have no idea where else to getthe info.

7. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    The beach in Cebu is relative far from the city center.
    5 star resorts are on Mactan island, the same island as the international airport.
    To visit the city it is most convenient to stay near Fuente circle or downtown (Colon street)
    Hotels.com may give you a lot of choise hotels.
    Once you find your choise write the name of the hotel in google and you will get alot of information about surrounding and quality of that hotel.

8. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are staying for month in either city, you can usually get a long stay rate.

Don't make a decision about retiring here after only visiting for a few weeks..

9. OP
    OP
    Kees

Kees DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi
    thanks for the info sofar. Cebu city and beach quite a long way apart. Staying in resort not the best way to explore Cebu since resorts don't like it if you leave their premises and spent money elsewhere.
    Cutie Ladybag - will not decide on the spot but after few trips.
    I live in Surabaya Indonesia now for abt 15 years and Bali is only 20 minutes away. It would be an option for retirement however it is dirty there (both on land as the in the sea) and not so many islands to snorkel, moslim religion makes life difficult for an expat. Corruption is bad but same in PH. The biggest positive point abt Bali however is that Bali is 100% safe (no guns or weapons in circulation) and you don't have the ripping off culture that i read is present in Cebu (Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor Do's and dont's in Mactan)

Anyway my preference is still to retire in PH and particular in Cebu or Duma area as i am a beach, sea lover and no better place in the world i think.

is there a big (retired) expat community in Cebu / Duma ? i mean Europeans, Americans, Aussies ??

10. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    you forgot something..