Dumaguete Info Search

Vocal Anti-Drug Pastor Murdered in Cebu

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Rye83, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think more violence from gangs will be making the news with the new chief "urging citizens to shoot drug dealers". That kind of machismo talk coming from the top is going turn gangs make gangs start looking for those that support the big guy's calls to murder them and going to get (more) people killed. There are smarter (and much more effective) ways to reduce the amount of drugs being sold in the country.

2. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Agree, the war on drugs seems to be a failure. Anyone with a basic understanding of gang warfare understands that if you hit someone with a stick, they come back to the next party with a knife and so on. Escalation breeds escalation. I've no idea how to stop demand, or prevent it, but it would seem to be that harm reduction policies such as adopted by the Netherlands might be a step forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I see, the new chief urges people to shoot drug dealers so the drug dealers shoot a Baptist pastor who was just reporting drug activity. Can you tie it a little closer please? Or do you have any other instances that coincided with this? A hangnail maybe?

It might be different if the pastor was advocating shooting drug dealers but I didn't see than anywhere in the story.

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So we have a pastor who is a staunch anti-drug advocate and a strong supporter of a political party who has a guy sitting in the Mayor's seat offering rewards to police who kill (not capture) criminals, who was shot by a person who just dodged arrest/death in a drug raid.....which was ordered by a person currently sitting in prison (it doesn't say what for but I'm putting my money on "drug charges"). Yeah, I'm sure him promoting people who are pushing this "shoot first, screw the justice system" narrative had absolutely nothing to do with getting shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    The $100,000 question is why didn't the police just walk up and shoot the man they arrested? I mean, that seems to be the big squawk. Some people seem to be saying that police won't arrest people if there is an incentive for killing them? Why is the assassin still alive?

6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No, what was brought up here is that innocent people are going to get killed in the cross fire and telling civilians to get involved by taking the law into their own hands (aside from being completely idiotic and irresponsible) is only going to get more people killed.

7. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    And where in the story did a citizen take the law into his own hands? Would it be unusual for a pastor to preach against drugs? Are not good citizens expected to report drug activity? Was the pastor trying to make a drug arrest? Where in this did a citizen take the law into his own hands?

8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    He is actively supported candidates who ran on that platform. And why would you think that a drug dealer currently in prison might drop 30k to have the guy killed? Yeah, we don't know the guy in prison is there for drug related crimes.....but if you can't piece this all together i don't know what else to say about it

9. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Wait, wait! How is actively supporting a candidate taking the law into one's own hands? I thought regular everyday people do that?

10. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    This quote, the taking the law into their own hands thing. That is the piece that is missing for me.

As long as I'm here, who else was shot? Which innocent people were caught in a crossfire?