Dumaguete Info Search

volcanic activity

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by hiddenuser, Aug 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so did everyone see the report from the philippne volcano folks "philvolcs" of the 6.6 quake at masbate yesterday? four volcanos put on level one alert including our kanlaon?

it is of particular interest to me as my asawa and i went to redrock above valencia to swim monday and we both noted the increased steam venting taking place on the way, espcially the steam vent field just short of red rock. there were also two smaller rock slides on the road that required some judicious navagation to avoid the larger ones.

this was before the quake occured. just a heads up

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Mount Talinis is a potentially active volcano, if I remember correctly. I don't think it will be something to worry about in our lifetimes. Earthquakes are pretty common in the Philippines, it is just something that happens. I believe most major explosive eruptions have some warning signs with today's technology. We would likely be warned and told to evacuate before an eruption occurred. Nothing to be worried about.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    With todays technology the lights don't even stay on all the time.
    If the volcano decides to erupt i think the smoke and heat will be the first warnings :arghh:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Genius Genius x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    hiddenuser

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well i agree with that. i thought the observation we made before we ever heard about the quake and before it occured, was that there was a whole lot more steam coming out of the ground up there in the mountains and rock slides happen but are always noteworthy. if you look up at the surrounding mountains while basking at red rock you can see some really big stuff that is perched precariously. i have actually formed a plan on where to hid if a quake comes while we are basting. i went to bohol after the quake there and was really shocked to see the damage. i would imagine a lot of it is still there. i know kanlaon has made a little mess up there north of us several times in recent years. never take stuff for granted!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Commercial, residential and scientific technologies are very different things. I feel the agencies in charge of giving warnings for volcanic activity have done a pretty decent job in this country. I don't feel this subject falls into one of the countries many shortcomings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The vents always look more active in the rainy season and the slides are due to the high levels of rainfall they have this time of yr. Its always happening up there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    hiddenuser

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we were up there today and it was much more calm, supporting your comments. still, i always go to defcon two when i am up there

• Like Like x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    And I think you will go to defecation two, or more, if it goes off! :smile:

9. OP
    OP
    hiddenuser

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Quisque comodeus est! (everybody is a comedian)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Assellor, ergo sum. (Don't know if 'Assellor' is really correct as I had to look it up - only got to 'amo' at school).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.