Dumaguete Info Search

W97M.97Melissa.A worm

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gabrielle_K, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Gabrielle_K

Gabrielle_K DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    I received a virus laden email from Mr Davidovich as he calls himself (Russian speaking American in Valencia) and i am warning others not to open anything he sends you,

Ive told him before that i dont even read his junk mail, but like others who just feel free to add you to their lengthy fwd email list without asking-he continued.

I may be able to get by without having to buy a new smart phone, but unless i take somewhere to get it purged-i may now only be able to use it offline.

Removing the memory card from my phone seems to have cured most if not all of the virus's hostile take over-but we'll see..

• Informative Informative x 4
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    W97M.Melissa.A

3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    The guys at Galleon cellphone shop on the second floor of Robinson might be able to help. They can unlock/open cellphones so I'm guessing they can probably reformat your phone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I am blessed with "Davidovich" emails also. I never sign up or ask him to put me on his email list. I never knew who the guy is and seldom if ever open them. I recently started marking them as Spam, and will see if that eliminates them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. knobhead

knobhead The Knobster Infamous

Retired Knobhead Engineer
    Ratings:
    +268 / 23
    you can reformat your phone and return it to the same state it was in when you purchased it. That means it erases everything that did not come with the phone. I had it done to my wifes phone a few years ago. It is in the settings menu

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Ratings:
    +198 / 39

I asked there and he told me to hit the reformat button-which worked briefly until i saw other spam apps forcing their way in almost immediately; and the number 97 showing in my results page's search window when i'd inputted something else.

Now the cp has gone nuts and i don't trust it to do anything so i'm back to a non-smart phone until i think i need a new bad enough to bother.

I have read that SIM cards can get infected as well so ill be asking smart for a new one w same number before i ever use a new cp

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If i were in that situation and had money to blow I would bring up a civil lawsuit against the guy of he refused to remove me from his spam list.

8. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle_K

Ratings:
    +198 / 39
    The worm may have infected his email list and be sending out emails on its own.

- Do you know how online civil lawsuits take here??

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm sure it is laughable and unlikely to return a favorable verdict but it would be a very expensive and annoying process for the guy to go through...much like getting spam containing a device killing virus. Maybe enough of a hassle to make him think twice about sending out his unwanted spam.

10. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    For an explanation:
    Email sender address can be faked if the sending email server is wrong configurated or if it is compromitted by malware. We had once a case where a friend of me got malware on his computer. Because I was in his address book I suddenly got emails with senders from his contact book. It was clear that they can not be the sender.
    In the mentioned case of the topic starter it can be that this mr. Davidovic can be the victim of a friend whose computer got infected by this worm. Therefore if you want to start a lawsuit you have to prove that it is really him sending these malware mails.

• Informative Informative x 2