Dumaguete Info Search

Warzone in Dumaguete wrecking my Negros visit and scaring my Canadian brother-in-law

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by dauinpass, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dauinpass

dauinpass DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a stranger who needs a favor... actually for my brother-in-law. I cannot promise you anything in return, but you will be doing good for Negros and be saving my long treasured and awaited vacation to Dauin.

I always wanted to visit Dumaguete and enjoy the seaside of Negros. I got some free PAL award MN-DGT-MNL tickets, for early September, for wife baby and I, as well as for pinay sister-in-law and her Polish-Canadian husband (both of whom will be visiting the Philippines from Calgary, Canada - we live outside Manila). Thought all of us could enjoy being by the sea at Dauin and still not be too far away from Dumaguete city.

Anyway, I am overseas right now and here is an extract from a recent chatlog with my pinay wife: "Bad news is (XXX NAME OF BRO-IN-LAW) doesnt one to go to dumaguete anymore. bcoz a filipina friend der told dem dat d place is not peaceful and lots of NPA's. dis filipina has a brother in dumaguete who moved to another place."

Someone has to put a stop to this over-reaction. My wife couldn't talk any sense into them (you can imagine what kind of people can be so frightened by such words), so I thought I might ask the good people of Negros to put this right. Please, please please.... It may sound fanciful, but my problem is for real.

If you could tell me what is the best way to communicate with you (or I hope the email function works on this board), I can give you their Canadian phone number. I wish there was an easy way for me to reimburse you - but this may just have to be one for charity. (Aha! Perhaps my wife can reimburse you with lots of pasaload!) Both in Canada are totally Internet illiterate. At the very least, I could ask them to call you so they can hear from real people who are really in Negros and not spouting some story from the islands in a Calgary shopping mall.

Anyone embedded in the Dumaguete warzone willing to lend some helpful words? Happy to give you any more information or answer any other questions that you might have.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    War zone?

:eek: My friend! The only War Zone here is the Bike parking lot at Robinsons.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

3. Jose

Jose DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Your concern are false. I have zero, nada,wala fear in Dauin.
    Welcome. Dayon camong tanan

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Maybe I've been here too long, but my bullshit detector has started beep-beep-beepin' away after reading that.

Sounds like your Pinoy Bro-in-law is trying to steer away from the Dgte area.

Look at the possibility of there being someone here that he doesn't want to bump into.

5. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the best thing to do is to come here without your Bro-in-law and tell them its a false alarm,,hehehe

6. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Dauinpass, welcome to this forum.
    I believe you have read already many of the topics on this forum so you won't be surprised anymore if we tell you that that brother in law has maybe been told so by a 'friend' of him but that that friend has probably heard that again from another 'friend' etc..etc.. and nobody ever verified.
    Looks like a typical story I have heard here more often :D:D
    I mean now the believe in everything another tells you. No....not me... I like to verify !
    If your people in Canada are all internet illiterate (but I hope they can still read ! or not ?)....it must be possible to find another Canadian friend to bring them to an internet cafe (probably at his own house :smile:) and let him read all the interesting answers on this and other sites.
    In my first year here (now more than 4) some family members back home regularly sent me emails and asked when I will come back again because they heard of bombings, shootings etc...
    Now I don't get these emails anymore since I have talked a lot to them when I was visiting them once a year or when they visited me here.
    Don't expect members will gonna call to your wife or to your relatives.
    It's imho YOU who has to convince THEM.
    I gave you a possibility how to do that.
    But maybe I am wrong and some nicer guy/girl than me will help you out better.
    I am in Dauin nearly every day (live on 8 km distance) and do laugh loudly after hearing your brother in law friend's comment.
    But maybe the ("dis filipina has a brother in dumaguete who moved to another place") brother who moved had some problems with his first partner and was scared she could call the NPA to settle their disagreement :smile::wink:
    Or MAYBE ..... ir even maybe .........
    If you can't solve this .......they won't ever believe you a next time also :D
    Good luck (I mean it !). And again....it's safe here under and above the water.
    Though .... got attacked by many jellyfishes some days ago (maybe sent by the NPA to me :wink:).

7. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    I just made a trip around the island and have nothing but polite friendly people. Nor have I heard of any "war" It could be your Brother in law doesn't want to come for reasons of his own. Id say leave him at home and come ahead. enjoy this beautiful place

8. OP
    OP
    dauinpass

dauinpass DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Jellyfish for your comments, and to the others too. I will pass them on to Canada; I still hope that someone on Negros itself might be able to show him the light (or at least there is some resident they can call who can set them straight, from the horse's mouth so to speak), because we've tried our hardest (I guess you can tell he's of a different mindset to what we're used to). Would be a shame for our Dauin visit to be wrecked thousands of miles away by some expat pinay with a colorful story to tell.

9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I frequently visit my wife's family in a Santa Catalina mountain barangay which is very close to one of the NVA stronghold barangays and never had a problem or heard of a problem. The former province attorney general told me their targets are not local citizens or westerners.

10. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just come and see dumaguete for you to see. Your brother in law seemed to be somwhere and he does not know anything about dumaguete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.