Dumaguete Info Search

Ways for an Expat to make some extra pocket money while living in the Philippines...

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by NovemberRain, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NovemberRain

NovemberRain DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would assume that some expats have a stable income from their home country in which they live off.

I think others have set up and run businesses here in Phils, such as bars or restaurants or resorts/hotels.

I don't own anything here, I fall into the first category, I have an income from my country. However, I would like to get involved in some work here to A) have something to do to keep me busy, aside from drinking beer. and B) it's always nice to have some extra pocket money.

If anyone has any (serious) suggestions to make extra money here in the Philippines without a working visa, please post.
    Also if you would like to share your personal situation and source of income, I would be interested to hear about how other foreigners make their living while residing here in the Philippines.

Thanks for your input :smile:

2. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It would be interesting to hear what others will have to say to this.

3. wolfpuppy

wolfpuppy DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're not getting many comments since most expats know (some from dire experience) that the best way to make a small fortune in the Philippines is to bring a large one. And the ones that are making money aren't going to tell you for fear of the potential competition?? Are you good at Texas hold-em? I am certain there are expat players there that would eagerly?? donate. Are you a billiards master? Prey on the tourists and drunk expats for some pocket juice. I don't recommend playing the locals, though, - you'll get spanked in more ways than one. Shark a few people now and then on the golf course? Surely, not a lasting source of funds.

But (seriously) what are YOU good at? That could/should be your starting point. Then how do you translate that to your current situation? There are those there that have done just that. Good luck.

Mike Baybay, Leyte Hopefully soon to live in the Dgte. area

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    If you're bored to death with a few dollars that you don't mind possibly losing....you could open up an on-line share trading account and trade on the PSE, study the companies, know it's all bullshit, buy low and sell higher is the aim..and be patient....The only good thing about the PSE is you can do much smaller trades than in the west. BPI does on-line trading accounts and there are a couple makati based trading houses as well who do it. Frankly, I'd only trust BPI....but that's just me...For tax purposes likely better to do it in the wife's name too....Consider it educated gambling....but no worse than opening a business and losing 100% or more....

5. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Well said, surely if you a jack of all trades, you'll find something to keep you pre-occupied. Things are too volatile in the Phils to ever consider starting a businness.

6. Steve4910

Steve4910 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Idea?

Hello Union Jack,

Have you thought of doing an internet cafe connected with another type of business?

7. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Doubt there is any money left in internet cafes. Never was much anyway....For a foreigner to run one....LOL...you'll be the only one in town raided for copyright violations, real or imagined, etc....and etc....

A rapidly growing number of Filipinos now have their own machines, or family/friends that do...and as smart-phones get more prevalent that'll be another competitor. Internet cafes are on the way out....

8. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    I might be wrong but I would consider going into printing......photoes, mugs, baloons, t-shirts, calendars. I do not recall seeing many outlets offering this service.
    Then again, it's the Philippines, get ready to be proven wrong. Diversifying could keep you afloat for a while, until you'll get a knock at the door from the tax man. Businness in the Phils is to me a no go area.....too many hurdles, corruption and a pain in the rear to keep going. :wink:

9. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Everyone here is right and giving good advice. I have been researching for years about business in the PI. A seemingly safer bet to maybe occupy yourself besides the small sari-sari store or whatever that you might help start was to consider a national francise business but until you have about 6 professional Filippino partners that you completely trust you are just putting a large amount of money up to earn a little return. In fact Garbonzo maybe had the best advice. Learn to invest your money, sit back and let it earn for you. I have some small investments going now that maybe only earn a few hundred pesos a week/month but look where you are and know that most citizens here work very hard for even that much money. If you are really good at research you can make money with the push of the button or lose it but at least you did it to yourself.

When it comes down to it, maybe it is time to just sit back and smell the roses. The only other thing I would consider is something in the area of farming but that again would take a considerable investment in land and maintenance but at least you can live off of your product if forced to.

10. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Actually, that's not a bad idea Pedro. My backyard is mostly veggies, fruit trees, and have a few hens in the corner for all the eggs we need. It's not rocket science....grow the veggies...feed the weeds and end-of-season veggie plants and any defective fruits to the chooks plus leftovers from meals...clean out their pen every couple weeks and add it to the compost bin...every couple months heaps of rich compost for the veggies to spur them along...It all works a treat. Doesn't cost me anything except time...and I quite enjoy it. We'd be saving now between $100 - $200 a month...on just a normal suburban backyard - and believe me I'm not trying hard. Could do much better if I had the time....Any bored expat could likely do the same if they have a little room. Might even teach their neighbours how to do it - seems to be a lost art in the Philippines now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.