Dumaguete Info Search

What are you thinking?

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by AntiX, Jul 8, 2009.

1. AntiX

AntiX DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I read through the postings here and every so often see mention of someone having a house built while they’re still overseas.
    Everybody’s circumstance is different but it seems unwise to not be on hand to make regular inspections during construction.
    I had a house built here in the States and had I not be watching the construction closely things would have been messed up worse than they were anyway. I can’t imagine what it would be like to have 7000 miles separating me from the contractor.
    Another thing I come across is people building “western” style homes in the Philippines. Excessive floor space, central air conditioning, maid's quarters, swimming pools, etc.. Wouldn’t it be better to build something more modest?
    1. It attracts less attention.
    2. It’s cheaper
    3. It’s easier to maintain
    I could come up with more reasons like more energy efficiency, sustainability, etc. but that’s a start.
    The money issue should be a big consideration. Maybe these people feel like they have plenty of money or they’re confident their homeland government will always be able to pay their pension, social security or whatever you want to call it. Under the present global economic conditions I can’t put faith in any government’s ability to make good on their commitments in the upcoming decades. If things go completely loco how long will your savings last living this way?
    Like I said, everyone has different circumstances and perspectives but for me these things don’t make sense.

2. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    I agree with you on that.
    Apart from the ownership issue, being in loco is essential.
    That is to check the quality of the materials employed, the workmanship and above all, to reduce the amount of material disappearing into thin air.
    I think it's best to buy a property already built up then adopt it to your taste and needs. Location is also a major factor. What might appear an idillic location during the day might change dramatically at night or during school time.......

3. seabee

seabee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's what's in my mind...

Years of hard work...
    Scrimping and saving for early retirement (I'm under 40 years old and I am definitely not depending on pension or anyone else)....
    Very thorough research....
    A good contractor with good reference and send weekly update....
    A local inspector....
    A local lawyer....
    A modest home (no pool, no frills, just the size I need)....
    A VERY STRONG DETERMINATION to get the hell out of here.....

It can be done...you just have to put you mind into it...I'm sure there will be loopholes along the way, but doesn't life have that anyway??

By the way, I was born, raised and educated in the Phillipines. So I guess I can say....been there...done that...

Wish me luck...

4. OP
    OP
    AntiX

AntiX DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I hope it all works out for you. I can certainly understand the desire to get out of here and go back home.
    Weekly updates are great but they can't tell you how much adhesive was used on the tile or what shape the rebar was in before it was installed. However, with your local connections perhaps you will succeed without these troubles.

5. cowboybb

cowboybb DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I built my home here in dipolog city while i was still living and working in michigan usa. But i must confess i made many many trips to dipolog while the build was in process. I would make the plans buy the materials and hire the workers for six weeks at a time. When my 6 weeks were up and i had to head home i would lay off everyone as the materials were exhusted. Do not i express do not hire a local builder and trust him to build you a house in the philippines and expect it to be your dream come true because it will turn into a nightmare. I have had many many ex-pat friends that did just that only to find out when they got to the philippines and their dream home it was full of mistakes and bad planning. Some not even livable in an american standard.
    If you feel the need to move here. If this is your dream. Start small. Finish the house then move here for a couple of years. If you like it then u can build big and live large. Nouthing wrong with a big house. My house is around 10,000 sq. Ft.. Yes thats right. 10,000 sq. Ft.. I have never had a problem with the locals but i picked a d*mn good location. And no i am not rich but did get a good buy-out from my employer and i took that money and built my dream house.
    All your dreams can and will work out with a lot of first hand planing. Do not leave it up to a local. Do your homework, pick your location, talk to people in the know who have built in your area before, draw your plans and build that dream house.
    And if i can help you in any way you can pick my brain any time u want.
    PS... IT HAS BEEN 7 YEARS FROM THE START OF MY HOUSE AND I AM STILL WORKING ON IT. ADDING A LITTLE HERE, PUTTING SOMTHING NEW THERE. YOU KNOW JUST KEEPING BUSY. I AM RETIRED AND NEED TO KEEP MOVING. ONE MORE DAY ABOVE THE GRASS IS A GOOD DAY...

6. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I think it's not the expats in question here when it comes to deciding the type of house to be built. Most likely, it's a collaborative decision between the husband and wife, and most likely, it's the wife who wants everything to be big and lavish. Well, I think lavish homes are high maintenance and are not really that practical today. I go for more modest quarters, a home to keep your body and soul intact would be enough.

7. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Agreed....should be a joint decision!

But I respectfully have to disagree about the asawa being the one to want "big and lavish".

In our case, after reviewing three different locaL contractor's estimated total building costs, ie: materials description, cost of materials, delivery of said materials to job site,etc,etc, it was readily apparent that all 3 contractors were giving us the "Kano" price = waaayyyyyyyyy over inflated costs.

My asawa simpy said , "That's it - I want a bamboo house with a nipa roof".
    That's what we built together. NO CONTRACTOR. She is as happy as a lark! Except that, for her, at only 1,450 sq.ft. it's too big! LOL!!

I did opt for a complete "Western" style, fully tiled, hot water large glass walled shower in the CR, 'low-boy' Italian commode, 5 drawer cabinet hand sink, a mirrored 7 ft tall linen cabnet - and got it all, along with maybe the only bamboo "L" shaped coffee counter in the kitchen in all of Negros! (?)
    My asawa couldn't understand why I insisted on having a "L" shaped coffee counter, but after just one day in the new house, she has never again bothered to set the 27,000Php ratan diinng room table for a meal, except for quests/ company! ROTFLMAO. All fine by me! No air con needed, either!

8. OP
    OP
    AntiX

AntiX DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ditto

A lesson learned early on. I bought a bicycle for my niece but wasn't allowed to go into the store.
    It's a bit trickier getting around this while shopping for land and negotiating with contractors. The only thing I can think of is to send intermediaries and trust they will express your wishes correctly.

That is AWESOME! I get that often myself. "We can just build a bahay kubo". It's cool to see someone actually did it.

For those that want to build the big dream house keep in mind a very important fact. You will never again see the money you put into that house. I think for most expats this isn't an issue because we have probably decided this is the house we will die in. For others who face the possibility of going back to the "homeland" you either have to walk away or settle for centavos on the dollar.
    Most of the locals cannot afford one of these big houses. Those that could afford to buy an existing "dream house" in PI will more than likely build new.

9. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would just consider building something to have something physical to do if I lived there tbh.

I already got a real nice house here, that does need regular maintenance and small renovations, I guess I would take some additional courses to get a bit better in plumbing electricity etc.

I did visit some house a german build himself in White beach, just using local materials and it was super cool.

10. Paul

Paul DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +57 / 12
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    cowboybb, I would love to see photos of that house! Man, you talk about keeping yourself busy... you will be busy hiking from one part of the house to another. :D :D