Dumaguete Info Search

What happened to the nice Dutchman introduction thread?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Arie, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Seems to have gone now, or am I missing something?

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    we delete all threads which are not understandable,no matter if Suaheli spanish or dutch... simple as that,

We can't control that, so it could be just some spam or general unwanted content (political, sexual, racist)

It' not that had figure out the language spoken here on DI...

3. OP
    OP
    Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I guess he was just checking if there where any countrymen around but I get the spam argument. It was btw. a polite introduction of somebody moving to Dumaguete with his wife this month.

So English only?

4. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I understand the problems of moderating a bulletin board such as Dumaguete Forum. I'm more than a little sympathetic that a moderator must establish standards and enforce them. Rhoody does this with remarkable wit, humour, discipline and grace.

That said, I'm also a fierce foe of arbitrary editing, deletion and banishment. It was NOT necessary, IMHO, to delete the linguistically offending thread. There was nothing offensive in the post in Dutch. It contained no offensive, political, racist or sexual content. It could have been locked to prevent further addition to it and the editorial remark concerning English only could have remained as the final remark. Now we have lost both - the baby out with the bathwater, perhaps?

I am by no means fluent in Dutch but I could understand the general content. I was looking forward to showing it to Annabelle to demonstrate to her just how easy it is to understand most western languages once you have a familiarity with one. As a person fluent in both German and English, Rhoody should have had no difficulty either.

In an earlier life, I posted extensively on the Thorn Tree, a travel based bulletin board sponsored by the Lonely Planet publications. I no longer do so. It was this same arbitrary sort of actions, repeated on an inconsistent pattern, which finally drove me away.

I hope that we have not lost the possibility of the benefit of the Dutch gentleman's membership on the Dumaguete Forum. If Rhoody will not apologize and invite him to return, join us and post again (OK in English only, if that is the policy), then I will do so on behalf of the membership.

Fair enough?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    yeah well maybe I was debet to it as well by posting in Dutch

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    of course I apologize, the dutch are the only nation in the world we germans really can "pick on" and tease properly.

I am happy to see a big dutch community in Duma behaving like on German highways... hehe.

[​IMG]

so all easy.. let's ,meet and lift some beer like on the picture below with my good old dutch friend jellyfish...

cheers

Rhoody

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hahaha finaly the Dutch are past their war trauma's and the germans start to pick on us, I always wondered what all these caravans where doing on the german highways (where the hell are they going to?), any sensible person goes to france, maybe they just do it to mess with the neigbours.

the germans clog up the waterways here though with their cruisertype boots

[​IMG]

I always get along well with Germans they are very practical to have around if you travel they tend to be prepared for anything so they are bound to have all kind of small practical stuff you forgot (could not be arsed to carry) :D

since they still own us a bike that sort of evens it up

(anyhow I have heard you about Germans so we are getting of lightly)

8. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have any problems with Dutch (language and people). And I have even friends in Germany.

9. OP
    OP
    Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    people are people, the nationality thing is just a bit for the banter, the cultures are very alike if not similar (with different history), you might see some characteristics a bit more often with one group then the other, besides there are pretty huge cultural differences in Germany I think (as well as in Holland).

My family are mostly frisians and they are more alike to what lives around them in Germany then southern provinces.

a well way too serious :D (likely because it is raining and windy here)

10. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.